1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trigeminal neuralgia

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Hippichick, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Does anyone else suffer with this? I had to have an old filling replaced yesterday which then triggered the TN. I was in extreme pain last night. Today is a bit better with shooting pains every now and then. I feel I have totally wasted the day lying on the settee in pain.If anyone else has it, do you recommend putting something warm onto your face or does this make it worse?

2. Does anyone else suffer with this? I had to have an old filling replaced yesterday which then triggered the TN. I was in extreme pain last night. Today is a bit better with shooting pains every now and then. I feel I have totally wasted the day lying on the settee in pain.If anyone else has it, do you recommend putting something warm onto your face or does this make it worse?

3. Hi Hippi, TN is incredibly painful. My mum has it - triggered after some dental work on one of her teeth. She found that too warm or too cold on her face made it worse (even a draught or touch would too), mostly she just wrapped a soft scarf around her head/face and tried to stay still. The only thing that made a difference was the prescription med Carbemazepine (Tegretol). Even when taking that it was still painful but much less so than without. She took it for about 6 - 9 months, mainly because she was so terrified of the pain coming back, before stopping the meds and has only had one further episode since then (touch wood). If you haven't seen your GP then get an appointment ASAP.

4. Hi,
    I have suffered on and off with attacks for a few years. I have gabapentin from doc which i take when i am going where there will be extremes of temp. e.g skiing, or when I have had attacks. Then I can go months with nothing.

Doc prescribed carbomazepine initially but I was allergic.

5. M09

M09

I sometimes find that warm (not hot) things help. Occaisionally something cool.... That is when I am getting the ongoing aching like I have been punched rather than the sharo electric shocks. I think I find it comforting more than anything else, I am not sure it actually does anything! Most of the time I just sit really really still hoping it will go soon. I have reacted to medication, but have found nortriptaline and pregabalin helpful and not so bad on side effects.

I am sorry to see there are a few of us, but hope you are all otherwise well!

6. dinx: I havn't had an attack of it for a year but last time took carbemazapine. I had some left over but like your Mum don't want to take it all the time when it only occurs rarely. Today it is mainly in my ear, the pain is just awful.

7. Hi
    sorry to hear you're having trouble.
    My mother had it very badly for a year on and off and was takng Tegretol. The side effects of Tegretol combined with the high dosage meant that she was more or less zombified, so she ended up having brain surgery. They inserted a small balloon, inflated it, which cut off the blood supply to the nerve. She now has no pain (clear for 5 years) but is numb on that part of her face.

Good luck.

8. I had it years ago and Tegretol helped. My friend also had it and found that acupuncture helped.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've got it now and I hate it, supposed to last 12 weeks, so the neurologist said, supposed to get better at night, it gets worse. I'm taking Tegretol, but still great pain, will it go eventually? I've had an MRI scan, nothing wrong!!