1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tricky student - beyond the school environment

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by katie_oconnor_179, Nov 21, 2018.

1. katie_oconnor_179

katie_oconnor_179 New commenter

Hello everyone,

I've been working on a 1-2-1 basis with a school refusing student for the last 2 and a half months for 1 hour a day in English. She has not had a full year of formal education for 4 years and she has missed a considerable amount of school. However, this is not the main issue that I'm having with our sessions. She refuses to do the work, frequently states that she is bored and that she doesn't care about the work. She only attends school for an hour a day before her mum picks her up which means I can't use the usual discipline route of lunchtime and after school detentions for inadequate work or attitude. Even talking about her future career options is difficult because she wants to be a homemaker.

She has SEMH needs and I try to cater to these needs as much as possible (giving options for the work, using a whiteboard, tying work to her interests and extensive family, creating a chilled out atmosphere), however her attitude means that the lessons are rarely completed. It is difficult to work around this attitude because, once she decides that she doesn't want to do something, it is almost impossible to convince her otherwise. We as a school have also tried integrating her into Nurture classes but, as there are no girls and she has been "forbidden" from having male friends by her brother, she refuses to even walk into the classroom. Does anyone have any ideas of things that I could use to encourage and motivate her to participate in the lessons?

Any tips are gratefully received.