1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tricky situation

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by 1anon, Mar 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 1anon

1anon New commenter

I am currently DHT in a primary school and my HT is struggling. I know that he should not be in school at the moment. He is not able to cope for a variety of reasons, I just don't know what to do about it. I would appreciate advice from wiser and more experienced colleagues.
    Thank you

2. stiginwhite

stiginwhite New commenter

Speak to your Chair of Governors, it is their role to support the HT in ways you cannot.
    In the meantime, deflect as much workload as you can reasonably cope with away from HT to you/ SLT.
    Protect your HT from hurtful criticism in difficult times, and you will have done your professional and personal duty.

welshwales, 1anon and Keighleigh like this.
  3. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Could not have answered better myself!

1anon likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree with the above. Support him in any way that you can but speak to the Chair of Governors to express your concerns.

1anon likes this.
  5. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I would speak to the HT before going to the CoG.

1anon likes this.
  6. 1anon

1anon New commenter

Thank you for your replies, I have so far managed to keep things ticking over as far as paperwork/day to day running is concerned and I am trying to provide lots of moral support. However, staff are beginning to notice a short temper, tearfulness and change in attitude which is difficult to stop. I have tried speaking to him face to face and explaining that I feel he would be better off taking some time out but at this point in time he feels work is all that is keeping him going.

7. stiginwhite

stiginwhite New commenter

So it is time to bump it to C of Govs as it seems the HT efforts are becoming counter-productive. If work is what is keeping him going, then he needs to access support from his GP because you, the staff and the pupils cannot be his therapy.

welshwales likes this.