1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tricky Situation re training.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by LouOscar1, Jan 20, 2012.

1. My situation is as follows:

I have always wanted to go into teaching, but was unsure of which Key Stage I wished to work with.
    From September until December I was a TA in the English department of a Secondary School, which I really enjoyed. However, I wanted to experience Primary before I decided which route to finally go down teacher training wise. I have been at a Primary School for two weeks now. At this Primary School I have been offered the chance to undertake a GTP placement at their school. (If I manage to get a place on the university course.)
    I have really enjoyed my time at the Primary school, however I think I would prefer to work at a secondary school.
    My degree is in history, but I want to teach English. I cannot get on any English teacher training courses without an English degree. I do not wish to teach History, so to attempt to get onto a History teacher training course would be foolish.
    QTS is transferable, so I could gain QTS through my Primary GTP and then start making my way over to my chosen career of English within a secondary school (by cover supervisor work, or English ta work for a year or so until I felt I was experience enough in the English field to be taken on as an English teacher).

I feel like, since I have been offered the Primary GTP option, I should take it as the first stepping stone to my ultimate goal. My enthusiasm for teaching in Primary would not be marred by the fact that it is not my ideal teaching post, as I see it is as my only opportunity into teaching. Literacy is obviously a key aspect of primary teaching and many of the skills and experiences are transferable.

Any opinions or viewpoints on this? Is there a different route that I can take to get into English at secondary school?

2. My situation is as follows:

I have always wanted to go into teaching, but was unsure of which Key Stage I wished to work with.
    From September until December I was a TA in the English department of a Secondary School, which I really enjoyed. However, I wanted to experience Primary before I decided which route to finally go down teacher training wise. I have been at a Primary School for two weeks now. At this Primary School I have been offered the chance to undertake a GTP placement at their school. (If I manage to get a place on the university course.)
    I have really enjoyed my time at the Primary school, however I think I would prefer to work at a secondary school.
    My degree is in history, but I want to teach English. I cannot get on any English teacher training courses without an English degree. I do not wish to teach History, so to attempt to get onto a History teacher training course would be foolish.
    QTS is transferable, so I could gain QTS through my Primary GTP and then start making my way over to my chosen career of English within a secondary school (by cover supervisor work, or English ta work for a year or so until I felt I was experience enough in the English field to be taken on as an English teacher).

I feel like, since I have been offered the Primary GTP option, I should take it as the first stepping stone to my ultimate goal. My enthusiasm for teaching in Primary would not be marred by the fact that it is not my ideal teaching post, as I see it is as my only opportunity into teaching. Literacy is obviously a key aspect of primary teaching and many of the skills and experiences are transferable.

Any opinions or viewpoints on this? Is there a different route that I can take to get into English at secondary school?