1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tricky sight words

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by countrybumpkin, Nov 19, 2009.

1. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

I have just started learning tricky sight words with my class but they are really finding it hard to remember them. It has been about 10 days now and we are doing them twice daily but they are still shouting out any of the words rather than knowing which one it is.
    We have talked about the initial sounds of the words and number of letters etc. We have played pairs with them, have found the right letters for them using magnetic letters and have twice daily flash card time but they aren't sinking in. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else I could be doing? I am reluctant to start learning more of them before they are confident with the ones they've got but I don't want them to become behind the parallel class. The parallel class teacher says hers are just picking them up without any trouble.

2. countrybumpkin

countrybumpkin New commenter

I have just started learning tricky sight words with my class but they are really finding it hard to remember them. It has been about 10 days now and we are doing them twice daily but they are still shouting out any of the words rather than knowing which one it is.
    We have talked about the initial sounds of the words and number of letters etc. We have played pairs with them, have found the right letters for them using magnetic letters and have twice daily flash card time but they aren't sinking in. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else I could be doing? I am reluctant to start learning more of them before they are confident with the ones they've got but I don't want them to become behind the parallel class. The parallel class teacher says hers are just picking them up without any trouble.

3. How many words have you been using? I wouldn't worry about the parrallel class too much, each class is different. Perhaps you could ask her what she is doing to see if she is using any different strategiesto you? If not then I would accept that they are just diffferent classes.

4. skills324

skills324 New commenter

I put actions to the words and I've found that works great and they remember them. go- point to the door no- wagging of finger, to- two fingers- emphasise it sounds like the number two, the- stick tongue out and say word 'the' I point at yourself, you point to someone else, she, he- point to a boy/girl.

Hope this make sense. I picked this idea up of someone on a course and it has worked really well in my class this year and last. So far Ive only done the tricky words- I no go the and to.

Keep drilling them into them- they will pick them up.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The actions are from a programme called oddly enough "Action Words" [​IMG]

6. Msz

I put a basic power point of the "tricky" words with action prompts in the resource bank last year.

7. could you put the link Msz - had a look but couldnt see it

8. I can't understand why these words are tricky or hard to learn. I'm not sure why they need actions.

Mum and Dad should be completely decodable with any phonics programme.
    Group 'my' with words like 'fly', 'try','cry' etc, so that they are all decodable and learnable along with other words.
    Teach 'said' with 'again' and at the point of teaching 'ai'. Just tweak the pronunciation and put a poster up of both those words together.

9. Group 'you' with 'soup' and 'group' on a poster (even 'coupon'). Introduce this, perhaps, when you are introducing the long /oo/ sound and 'oo' words. Note the second letter is 'u' and not 'o'.

10. Msz

Just to clarify I don't use "Action Words" to teach words like mum or dad - these are taught as a decoding skill - but I do use them to introduce "ticky words" - those words we need but don't yet know the rules such as was & said - I always point out the "tricky" part so that when we encounter similar words I can refer back to the word they know.

11. skills324

skills324 New commenter

debbiehep- I don't know what age group you teach but reception ch are taught the words said, you etc- all these tricky words that do not apply to the phonics they are learning at this stage- which is why they are tricky words!

So we would teach said- as it is a key word but we wouldn't teach again.

12. I know all about Letters and Sounds!
    Just because Letters and Sounds doesn't say it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea!
    You get double the learning, then, and the two words together may actually prove to be more memorable with that little pattern of their own!
    Teachers need to do two kinds of phonics teaching, in effect, one is a systematic, planned programme - running alongside an 'incidental' phonics approach as appropriate.
    Letters and Sounds wasn't written by practising Reception teachers or infant teachers or primary teachers - not the part from Phase 2 onwards.
    No-one has to follow it slavishly.

13. LOL at skills 234 telling Debbiehep how to teach phonics!

14. skills324

skills324 New commenter

maybe it comes down to the needs and level of the ch then in your class. I know for my class this year it would be too much for them to take in teaching spelling rules that will come into their learning later on.

As for biliboi you can LOL all you want at me telling Debbiehep how to teach phonics! An OFSTED inspector said my phonics lesson was god last weekand all the children made good progress in the lesson and learnt. An my results from last years class were very good. So up yours! [​IMG]

15. Well done skills324 - you don't need to be so defensive - it was only a bit of humour![​IMG]

16. Huh... I meant to add this one:- [​IMG]
    It must be my age!

17. Ohh it seems as though I have caused unnecessary offence. It just seemed ironic that you were trying to tell DebbieHep how to teach tricky words, her being the producer of a systematic phonics programme and a valued source of advice on this forum for good practice in teaching phonics.

18. ...as an aside - with no disrespect to skills, I'm not so sure all Ofsted inspectors would know a good phonics lesson if they saw one![​IMG]

19. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Ok.
    Anyway we got a good- but she did actually said my phonics lesson was a little too formal, which really annoyed me. She wanted to see free choice and I got them reading and writing the tricky words no and go.

billiboi you could have simply told me that information in the first place [​IMG]