1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tricky Interview Question

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by yellowstone2013, Nov 11, 2015.

1. yellowstone2013

yellowstone2013 New commenter

Hello!

At a recent interview for a TA post, I was asked the following question:

If you were supporting a child within the classroom environment, and that child began to disrupt the learning of others, would your main concern/responsibility lie with that child, the other children in the classroom, or the teacher?

During interview, I gave examples of where each would be a main concern and how i would handle each situation as I feel the particular situation results in a different solution.

I was unsuccessful in gaining this post, and feedback said that I had strayed from the question.

How would you answer this question? What advice can you give? Thank you for your help!!

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The answer is that it would depend on a multitude of things

Without further information it is, in fact, a poor question.

yellowstone2013 likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, rubbish question.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And even if you gave us an example of a good question, we would be reluctant to give you a model answer.

Just imagine if we did, and that question came up in an interview next week, and 4,567 people having read the thread by then, all 8 of you being interviewed gave the exact same answer!

:D

So no answers to interview questions, nor suggestions for what to do in the observed lesson - too many people read these threads for this to be a good idea.

Quite apart from the fact that actually YOU would be doing the job, so YOU would need to know how to answer the question at interview.

But to get back to the O.P. @yellowstone2013 , I shouldn't worry too much about what the feedback said - it is often a case of scratching around to find some reason to tell people.

Read this on a tangential subject:

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

Best wishes for next time - you could come to Jobseekers and ask for help with interview preparation.

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I once had a DH, giving me feedback, come straight out and say that he couldn't understand why I hadn't been appointed, so this is very true. Some people come out with the most ridiculous questions in interview.

With regard to answers I agree it is no good spouting model answers or even the one that you think the interviewer wants to hear. You need to answer according to your own experience and wisdom, that way you will come over as much more plausible.(assuming your answer is not completely off the wall) If it doesn't suit the school you are applying for then you try another.

There is no such thing as a bog standard school, all schools are different, they have their own history which affects the way they work, they have their own combination of methods. Many of the differences are subtle but they add up to perceptible differences in ethos. You just need to keep trying.

Best of luck.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good reply @irs1054 .

Best wishes

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The child. Focus on dealing with the child's disruptive behaviour and it ceases to become an issue for the other children or the teacher.

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Gosh, have you not read the previous posts about not giving answers?!!