1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trial days or rip-off?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, Jun 8, 2011.

1. A trend seems to be setting in for teachers being asked to do unpaid trial periods, sometimes just a day but up to a week, to be considered for supposedly 'long-term' supply roles. This sounds like a rip-off to me. What do others think?

2. A trend seems to be setting in for teachers being asked to do unpaid trial periods, sometimes just a day but up to a week, to be considered for supposedly 'long-term' supply roles. This sounds like a rip-off to me. What do others think?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've done trial days but always paid. Any half decent agency will insist you are paid, even if at a lower rate than you get for, say, a long term placement. Never would I consider an unpaid trial of up to a week....NEVER!
    If I've gone in to a school for an informal chat/meeting then I don't expect to get paid.