1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trevor Phillips attacks political correctness for failing to tackle Muslim child sex gangs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

There Are a lot of attempts here to show that men from any backgrounds abuse children. In the case being dupiscussed, the victims came from one racial group and the abusers from another. That point is in danger of being overlooked. As are the victims.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

And the message from the mosques ought to be crystal-clear and repeated daily. All women, under British law, must be treated as equals with men.

But given the number of hadiths on the subject of women and their behaviour? I guess that's not going to happen any time soon. But I hope I'm wrong and I would be delighted to hear of examples where the law of the land IS reiterated and reinforced.

https://islamgreatreligion.wordpres...dith-about-women-in-islam-must-read-by-women/

wanet and Laphroig like this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't know. Has it been proven that there are?

4. grumpydogwoman

Batool Al-Toma, director of the New Muslims Project:

“In the Prophet’s time, mosques were filled with men and women. When public meetings were held, women were there listening, contributing, challenging and speaking out.”

A number of women tell me that still happens in Middle Eastern mosques, but here in the UK, things have become even more conservative and patriarchal.

“What’s gone wrong is that Islam is being propelled by cultural practices,” explains Al-Toma. “Majority of British Muslims are from South Asia and there are cultural norms in that society where women were either segregated in mosques or prevented from entering.

Women must challenge male mosques
    “But it’s come to the point now where women want equal recognition and participation and acknowledgement in all aspects of running the mosque. We have to keep challenging the status quo and break it down.”

Like Shah and Noor, she doesn’t think the answer lies in a women-led mosque though she gets that the project "comes from women’s frustrations at the total lack of empathy and understanding from men".

Instead she thinks women need to stand up for themselves more, even to the point of using the law:

“I think that women in this country should be able to take a legal case against any mosque that has been preventing women to enter or to involve themselves. We should be able to take them to court and use the law in the UK if they’re depriving 50 per cent of its community from accessing it for their spiritual needs.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...blem-unveiled-within-patriarchal-mosques.html

Well said, Batool.

5. grumpydogwoman

390407-1.bin.jpeg

If we have more of THIS (a woman leading prayer) then we will eventually have less of Rotherham etc.

wanet, slingshotsally and Laphroig like this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

It is an interesting and good idea but the current law in the UK does not support it....

Therein lies a problem because all sorts of religious institutions would oppose any change to the current laws and that means it certainly won't happen under a Conservative govt. I'm not at all sure about the others either :rolleyes:

slingshotsally likes this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Those 'Leader' shoes should be renamed '******'.

A football logo on the side and printed logos of footballs on the insole.

Why are these men so stupid?

Football!

You couldn't make it up.

slingshotsally likes this.
  8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Just cheap, poorer quality Chinese rubbish, with a Clarks Logo on them. Now sold at a premium price, of course.

9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The Benedictines have been mired in controversy for 20 years following a series of revelations about sex abuse scandals at their prestigious private schools, Ampleforth, Downside, Worth and St Benedict’s, Ealing, west London
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...abbot-president-order-faces-sex-abuse-inquiry

10. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  11. realteuchtar

realteuchtar New commenter

It's more sexism and classism. Nobody cared enough about those girls. They weren't considered important and were treated as if they were adults. Some serious issues of 'Safeguarding' and not enough people prepared to put their head above the parapet. I applaud everyone who fought to bring this to light.

InkyP likes this.
  12. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I so wanted to discuss OS and I think that my thread would be one that died.
    We can discuss that here as they are related. What were your thoughts on Operation Sanctuary

13. delmamerchant

Seriously! I jolly well hope not!

Some do seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to avoid the possibility that there is a connection between religious perspectives of young white women in these recent cases.

14. delmamerchant

If I am correct, the person that brought the issue to the attention of those in charge at Rotherham was sent on a racial awareness course simply because she stated her findings. It was the fear of being accused of being racist that this these poor girls were left to suffer.

wanet, LunaBlue123 and bombaysapphire like this.
  15. delmamerchant

There is no doubt that these men preyed on these girls because they see them as easy. I am just aghast that there is such as depth of denial. What is going on in society today when our desire to not offend supersedes our consideration for the victims?

wanet likes this.
  16. delmamerchant

I find it strange that some seem to feel that it is more important to point out that white men have groomed as well, no one is denying this. Surely, one can see that the scale and the young women targeted in these recent cases is specific.

17. delmamerchant

To be quite frank..Who cares? Let's give some thought to these young women whose lives have been forever tarnished and their emotions in tatters.

18. delmamerchant

As am I?

19. delmamerchant

I agreeo_O

20. delmamerchant

Hello friend. I was beginning to feel like some sort of un PC dinosaur. I wish people had been this PC during the years when innocent, hard working Caribbean's where being beaten and chases down the streets by skin heads and then being picked stopped and searched because they spend their hard earned money on a decent car!