1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trevor Phillips attacks political correctness for failing to tackle Muslim child sex gangs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Aug 11, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Not daft; vulnerable.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Daft?

Someone is nice to them for once. Buys them things. Invites them in. Tells them they're lovely. Girls who haven't got much going for them.

I don't know where some of you teach but it must be a world away from where I worked. These girls are legion! There are thousands of them. Putty in the hands of anyone who will buy them a can of Coke. Then the coke turns into cheap rum and Coke etc etc.

That's why it's called grooming. They are kids. Not daft. Just ignorant the ways of the world. Because they're young. They thought these men were their friends! The men went out of their way to show friendship. With an ulterior motive. The girls weren't daft. They were needy.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Do you think it has been proven that there are no intrinsic aptitudes?

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

No, the priests groomed children at church and in children's homes.

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Do you think it's been proven that there are?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

And in schools too. "Free Man" anyone?
    Yes, Priests have groomed children in the past and so we must remain vigilant and suspicious.

9. elledriver

More evidence in favour than against.

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Care to provide some links?

Because everything I've read suggests the opposite.

11. elledriver

I'm sure it does, but do you really think women are not intrinsically better at some things than men?

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Like what?

13. elledriver

Perceptual speed.

14. grumpydogwoman

“There is a culture of cover-up and denial at the English music schools, which are often concerned more for their reputation than for the children in their care,” says the author and critic Norman Lebrecht. “Ten years ago, when Nigel Kennedy spoke of abuse of girls in his class at the Yehudi Menuhin School, no investigation followed. More recently, when the headmaster of the Purcell School left under cover of darkness, the school said nothing. The schools, when challenged, close ranks, shut their eyes and hide behind lawyers. Until they change their culture, there will always be a risk of abuse.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-A-culture-of-abuse-denial-and-cover-up.html

Music schools. Staff.

It's a problem for men. And for women. There are wives, mothers, sisters and girlfriends. How much do ALL these men (of whatever culture or class or workplace) benefit from having complicit wives, mothers, parishioners? I don't have sons. How hard would I have worked on inculcating respect for women? Knowing me? Pretty damned hard.

But look. Clarks. Look at what we're up against. What does this say to children???

Girls' shoes? Dolly babe.
    Boys' shoes? Leader.

Clarks Children's Dolly Babe Mary Jane Leather School Shoes, Black
    [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Leader Play JnrBoys School ShoesBlack Leather

26122974_W_1.jpeg

15. elledriver

Boys don't wear strappy shoes.

16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Men are better or women?

17. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Overall differences in aptitude between males and females, where they exist, are small in comparison to the variability between males and between females. So statements such as "men are better at abc, but women are better at xyz" tell us nothing at all about the aptitude of an individual man or woman.
    Many men are brilliant linguists, many women have superb spatial skills.

I haven't seen what the exec from Google actually said. But an obsessive interest in technology can be a feature of mild autism, which is more common in males. So may distort the employee profile of a company like Google.

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We must be vigilant but we must not assume that all priests or all Catholics are child abusers. The same applies to other religions.

19. grumpydogwoman

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is why men are more likely to be abusers. They have more power. I'm not aware of much work on women in powerful positions and whether they are just as likely as their male counterparts to exploit others. I suspect they probably do.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160601-the-women-that-kill-abuse-and-torture

But I'm going to read this now.

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068xnm4

In April, the case of a 10 year old girl who became pregnant after her step-father raped her became front-page news in Paraguay, and across Latin America. Abortion is legal in this small South American nation only if the mother's life is deemed to be in danger. In this case, the authorities ruled there was no threat to the girl, and the pregnancy continued. But this isn't a one-off example of children getting pregnant: more than 700 girls aged 14 and under gave birth in 2014. That's more or less two a day.

The 10 year old's pregnancy spawned a series of demonstrations and huge debate: about abortion, sex education, and the failure of the criminal justice system to prosecute the perpetrators of the abuse of children.

For Crossing Continents, Linda Pressly meets some of the schoolgirl mothers, and explores the reasons why Paraguayan girls are especially vulnerable to abuse. Why are families, the state and the law failing to protect them?

The programme discusses the attitudes of the abusive fathers, the church and the legacy of living under a dictatorship in which people were afraid to speak out.