1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trevor Phillips attacks political correctness for failing to tackle Muslim child sex gangs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Aug 11, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

It happens across all religions, classes, cultures...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...es-against-children-in-malaysia-a7067141.html

And this..

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2008/nov/19/david-brown-paedophile-trial-albania

And of course the allegations of abuse by Catholic priests has been widely reported in the past.

Yet we don't view all Christians or all Catholic priests as abusers.

2. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Some are contributing more than their fair share.

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've been a party to so many of these discussions to not expect that alleged historical reference Lan. It is a sad tradition that is kept alive.
    It was no more than a comment on that .
    The answering posts showing other alleged (or even genuine) similar historical behaviours were, I feel, simply a response to the traditional point being made. I'm not convinced they added much to the debate as i agree with you that both sides were then talking about the past and not the present.
    I don't see that any of them attempted to justify or normalise the present problems
    I have therefore no idea at all about what you think is suspicious, why you are "gobsmacked" or for that matter what point you are trying to make.

I note that I am not the only one with that problem

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You could say the same about World Wars but it doesn't help.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  5. elledriver

They've stopped doing it now.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No... they serve to normalise it...

How hateful would it be, to go up to one of the victims of this gang... one of the 270+ victims... and say ''hey did you know child marriage was common in the 14th century''...

But no-one has any interest in those victims... that was proven by the low post rate on the earlier threads.

So I'm not going to comment on here anymore... I find this thread vile.

7. slingshotsally

Those would be paedophiles.

There is no such thing when talking about child abuse.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My mother was adamant before she died that she didn't want the church involved in any way in her funeral. Her father was injured in WW1 and for a while she had to live with an aunt, a card-carrying Christian who treated her as her slave. She worked out at the age of five that her beatings would mostly come after the Sunday sermon.

Interestingly, I listened to a programme about Norway this evening which was about the efforts being made to deal with child abuse. The Norwegian government is getting a lot of criticism for the manner it deals with it; and in particular for what some regard as a secular nation being oppressive to the religious.

Norway's laws allow no leeway for the physical abuse of children. If it's suspected, apparently their social services don't sod about, but take the kids away and it's hard work getting them back.

The programme focused on an evangelistically religious couple who admitted they'd "mildly" clouted their kids to discipline them and lost all five of them when the state stepped in.

Have a listen and make up your own minds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076mnky

9. slingshotsally

My brother was in care.

I can assure you his abusers weren't Muslims or Pakistani origin.

But he doesn't go around hating pale, Christian people.

@Duke of York, I shall have a listen, thank you.

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

On that point, although I chose not to respond in this manner at the time, one thread on the subject had a glaring error simply in the title and other inaccuracies in the opening post.
    As the title error could have been down to misreporting in the media, and the other inaccuracies were a mixture of bias and opinion I simply could not be bothered starting another argument.

The second one I saw had the same error in the title and though I read what few posts there were, by the time I dug out out some facts to use as a response, it had dropped off the front page and I did not feel it was worth resurrecting.

I've spent a fair bit of time discussing it elsewhere though

11. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

And at least three hundred ethnic groups in the world today whose populations are wholly or partly Muslim.

12. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Well, the current explanation of rape is that it is an attempt to exert dominance.
    In this case it is a dominance of an ethnic minority over whites, so it all may well be a sort of racism.
    I think the paedophilia reference is a red-herring. Young girls are the only ones daft enough to get involved,

13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Seeing that these girls are exceptionally vulnerable and were drugged, plied with alcohol and were often unconscious when being raped, can we not use the word 'daft', please? 'Daft' implies some sort of silliness which is not in line with the emotional vulnerability of the girls involved and the behaviour of the perpetrators.

I think the references to child marriage (historic) and old attitudes towards girls/women and the age at which they got married is relevant when considering people's current attitudes. If (some) Muslims use Muhammed's marriage to a young girl as evidence that this is OK, as was evident in some of the ISIS propaganda about sex slavery and the treatment of women, then it's right to look at the fact that Christian attitudes towards girls and sex have not always been very progressive. The Magdalene laundries, for example, and the condemnation of unmarried mothers (and not the fathers) was based on a very definitely unpleasant definition of what it meant to be a good Christian woman. However, attitudes towards women and young women in particular have moved beyond that in the last few decades and expectations should be that every group in modern society share the same ideas about women and girls. Unfortunately, the prevalence of various forms of violence and harassment towards women - from Gamergate to the Google memo to sexual assault on public transport to the increase of sexual violence in schools to the sex abuse cases - cut across every group.

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

These are victims of sustained and targeted abuse. This is not an appropriate way to refer to them.

If anything on this thread normalises or minimises rape and abuse it is this.

Orkrider2 and cariadwch like this.
  15. elledriver

The Google memo? Give me a break.

16. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

T34 hasnt been paying attention during those safeguarding sessions.
    Its the same 'daft girls' attitude that was prevalent in the police force and social services that allowed the asian paedo gangs to carry on abusing children without fear of consequences or prosecution.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Explaining women's lack of appearance in technology by referring to biological differences and women's lack of ambition seems pretty sexist to me and relies on the premise that women's biology makes them less able to do things than men's.

slingshotsally likes this.
  18. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

And many of them absolutely hate each other. So much for the 'ummah'

19. elledriver

In some cases, it does.

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Not the things that the google memo was talking about.