1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trees - when do you do yours?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cally1980, Dec 5, 2015.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Mine usually goes up around the first weekend of the month and comes down a day or two into the new year. Bought and decorated today so feeling very festive!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm doing mine this evening when the grandchildren arrive. I would normally leave it a bit longer but I don't think they'll be another chance before Christmas.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Literally just finished decorating ours. It's as camp as anything.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't
    There's only me here now so why bother

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't have one any more though I'd jump to get one were the grandboys here.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We aren't bothering this year. My token gesture towards festive decorations is a string of a hundred bright red berry lights which do not flash. I've put them up in a window. They cast a nice warm glow. I'm just waiting on men turning up now, lonely farmers travelling from miles around in their tractor :p

Lascarina likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ours finished... about two hours ago.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Last Saturday. The grandchildren wanted to do it. It took quite a while and occupied them while my daughter was at work. Result.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ooer missus. You sound like one of those ladies in the red light district of Amsterdam!

I have got my lights up too. I hope no one turns up here in a tractor!

ScotSEN, kibosh and cissy3 like this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I will wait until a few days before Christmas, as it's living, and doesn't like being indoors for too long.

Also, I get bored with the sight of it if it's up too early. (no innuendo intended!)

kibosh likes this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ours is in a bucket in the garage and we will do it next week sometime. Just had a lovely text picture from son 2 who has just done his. Makes me a bit sad that he hasn't got anyone to help him. He's got lots of friends but no one special as far as I know - sigh. But at least he has a nice home to put it in.
    Saw the first lot of house lights go up - and partly blow down again, today. That will be next week for us too.

ScotSEN likes this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Oh, I wouldn't mind! :D

ScotSEN and kibosh like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We wanted a big one this year. (Go on then!) So we got a big one.

But you can't get a living tree that's 7 foot so we've had to (reluctantly) go artificial.

ScotSEN likes this.
  14. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Camp? Weird...

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

On average I put mine up on 30th November and take it down 31st December as:-
    a) then its up for pretty much the whole of December
    b) I can start the new year with a tidy, uncluttered flat.

I do get tempted to leave it until the 12th night (which I define as the 5th but that's an argument that rumbles on and on, is it the 5th or 6th of January!) but am usually sick of the sight of it (and the needles on my carpet) before then.

However, this year, being stingy, I am putting my sh it artificial one up once I can actually find the pieces in the cupboard! (which itself will require tidying to get that far!)

16. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Problem with a big real tree is the width! Went for a 5ft and had to pretty much rearrange the room to accommodate the width.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Judicious use of secateurs solves that problem cally

cally1980 likes this.
  18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ouch!:eek:

19. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Ours is in a bucket in the garden. Meant to do it today but fell asleep in front oif 'It's a wonderful life' .

Maybe tomorrow.

20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Ours will go up on the 17th after the children have finished school for the year.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.