1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Trebling of 'refusal to teach' ballot

Discussion in 'Education news' started by stonerose, Feb 8, 2019.

1. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Have just read on TES site that there has been a trebling of 'refusal to teach' ballots in schools and it has become the second most common cause for concern among teachers. What a surprise - not.

Would like to hear Tessers' views on this.

(Apologies to all for not providing link here.)

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-trebling-refusals-teach-violent-and-disruptive-pupils

A trebling? Well yes, that's strictly correct but a very misleading way of expressing the number of ballots. There were 3 in 2015 rising to 8 in 2017 and 14 in 2018.

I'm surprised it's the second biggest concern. I'd have thought that pay and workload would be the top two but according to NASUWT their members think teaching violent pupils is a greater concern than at least one of those. (The link in the article to NASUWT's details isn't working for me.)

TES don't say so, but surely it's only secondary teachers who put this as their second biggest concern? Seems unlikely that primary, where the majority of the profession teach, feel that way.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    stonerose likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Pay and workload are serious but long term issues. Teachers deal with them, and plan to escape with greater or lesser success. Violently disruptive pupils cause intense immediate stress and can turn an effective days work into very little as well as affecting the education of very large numbers of other children, and of course triggering management into your classroom who may suggest that it's all the teacher's fault.
    Mrs P left a job four years ago because the stress of dealing with a small group of inadequately supported poorly support 8 year olds.
    I agree with @Rott Weiler that at the moment it is a very small sample size and not necessarily indicative of the size of the problem.