1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Treated appallingly by International School

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rainbow warrior, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Wont name it because of the rules, but told via Parent that I was not having my contract renewed! School says they emailed me but never recieved it. Not the only one though.

No time to find another job as schools go in next week. Looking at 3 months unemployed.

Law on their side. Temporary contract not renewed. I dont actually have an issue with not having it renewed its the manner and the timing to cause maximum disruption and difficulty.

Some other colleagues in same boat but given 4 months notice so could find another job. I wasn't given that chance and in my opinion the school should at least tell you straight and let you have time to find another job.

TES, when are going to take the underhandedness of these schools seriously?

Morally and ethically stinks.

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I remembered some of your previous posts and think I know what country you are in.
    You sounded very happy there. Is this a case of the school not renewing a contract after 2 years because it would have to be permanent? Or had you been there longer?

3. Hi Lunarita,

I was happy there. Had good relations with students and good results. I was on good terms with colleagues as well.

I was due to get the permanent contract this year but to be honest I have no idea if it played a part in the decision or not.

4. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

And have you done just two years there, or more?

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Ah, welcome to my world, where my employer seemed incapable of showing any respect to me and only did so in the last week of term, when under pressure from his parents and concerned he would lose them.
    I was given a load of *** that changed every ten mnutes and then threatened. Laughably I was then asked if I'd come back and cover for anyone who was sick.
    Privately run schools have every right to employ who they want but need to treat both parents and staff with more respect. Strangely, they'd have a better workplace atmosphere if they did.

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Out of curiosity, what kind of relations did the Principal have with students and their parents?

I was told by other teachers that the kids and the parents loved me - and I think most students achieved their full potential under me. However, my contract wasn't extended. While I guess I'll never really know why, I do know that the Principal (who herself isn't there any more) was generally loathed by staff, students, and their parents - which was also the case in her previous school.

So, looking at other peoples posts, I can't help wondering if being popular is sometimes a big black mark against you.

7. The Principal was liked and in some cases, admired, for the way they conducted themselves. To me, the school was starting on a very positive path at the time I joined, was moving forward and as I've said I enjoyed the job.

They (the Principal) have also had the same happen to them. The Top job there has an average 2 year survival rate, which as someone else said may be to do with employment rights, I dont know. I suspect its more when the word "yes" is exchanged for "no" "perhaps" or "this time I disagree" by those at the helm.

My issue with this is that the cards are already stacked firmly in the favour of the school, so why dont they just do the honest thing and tell you what they intend to do, in good time, so you can get another job?

But thats not enough. It has to be done via email, in the summer, with clear indications they wont put certain achievements in references, because they don't just get you to leave, they go for the jugular and make you miserable.

They wouldnt know the word professional if it hit them in the face.

8. Lunarita: Just the two

9. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I couldn't agree more. Really off for the school not to let you know before summer at least and then to find out via a parent! [​IMG]
    For some reason I thought you might have worked at the same school as me. Can you pm me the name of the school?
    I also had problems as the job I was doing was readvertised and although I applied and was interviewed, I didn't get the job. So I'm unemployed as well at the moment.

10. So for the masses of unwary, can we have a clue on this rotten place please?