1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trays or no trays?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Over_the_hill, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I am in KS1. Do you think children should have their own tray or do you think it is just one more thing for the teacher to clean out periodically. If you have them, what are they actually used for? My new classroom is tight on space and the 30 trays could be better used for Maths resources. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. Gerbils150

Gerbils150 New commenter

I've not had trays in my class for the past three years - 2 in year 2 and this year in year 3. Any resources that the children need including their progress books and early morning work books are kept piled in the middle of the table. Not having trays means more space, less excuse to stand and chatter rather than get on with the task and one less thing to tidy up.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

No trays. Waste of space, they just fill up with junk. Let them keep stuff in their bags.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not had trays for years now...drove me nuts when they did have them!

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I hate trays but my school insists on having them so we have to.

I make the kids tidy them though. It only takes a few spot inspections at the start of the year and the majority of them fall in line with keeping them relatively uncluttered.

I had a kid last year who used to leave half eaten fruit in his. *shudder*

1 person likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

No trays (definitely not in KS1). They don't need them; the trays just fill with endless paper and junk and school resources like scissors, glue sticks, etc.

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Thanks all. Decision made!

8. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I think with some kids it really can benefit them having a set place they know to return all their stuff to (my own kid's like this - has dyspraxia and we cope by overlearning how to organise belongings etc). You can't fit anything IN the average primary school book bag!