1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travelling with 2 cats

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dizzychu, Sep 12, 2019.

1. dizzychu

dizzychu New commenter

I might be headed down the road of crazy cat lady, but before I do I need some experienced travellers opinions.

I've waited years till I was ready to be responsible for a cat as a forever animal. The dream was an older Maine **** for that true dog- like cat experience. Well the breeder missed my email. 4 weeks later I took in a 10 year old common breed ex street cat that's been in first for over 2 years. We've bonded rather well, for 3 weeks and now the breeder spots my email and offers me a choice of 3 matinee **** girls (I just want one).

I'm willing to pay for relocations etc. when the time comes but is travelling with 2 cats a detriment to job prospects? I'm thinking to stay around the eastern and southern parts of the European continent, not necessarily in EU.

What say you TES? To get a second - and my dream - cat?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Its easy to travel from the UK with pets as the country is regarded as decease free. This therefore causes the problem of bringing pets back into the country as the UK wishes to keep the likes of rabies out.

3. dizzychu

dizzychu New commenter

Ah... for clarity I'm in Romania. Considering jobs around here, one of the Stan's or Turkey.

4. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

My advice is look closely at the requirements for taking your pets back to the UK, as from some places, this can be extremely complex and expensive.
    Lots of luck!

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE="february31st Its easy to travel from the UK with pets as the country is regarded as decease free. [/QUOTE]

Must be why it's such a crowded little country.

We traveled the world with Basil, our African dog. It was a straightforward matter to bring him to Spain when he retired. He was then chipped and issued with a pet passport which would have entitled him to enter the UK without quarantine if we had so wished. I suppose this would no longer be possible if and when the UK leaves the EU.

I'm guessing that the TES nanny filter objected to the Mrs Slocombe terminology in the OP's post.

More tea, Vicar?

6. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

Looking at the gov.uk site, it seems that should the UK leave without a deal, it will become an 'unlisted 3rd country' and will have to apply to become a listed country (like the USA).
    The UK will no doubt meet the required standards, but the process could take months, or even years apparently.
    This will seriously affect those wishing to travel from the UK with pets, as unlisted countries have additional processes such as the titre bloodtest, and all of this adds to the time and costs involved.

7. dizzychu

dizzychu New commenter

I'm not looking to head back to the UK, just continue travelling to international schools.
    I think the bot opposed the second part of this breed's name which strangely hadn't occurred to me before now.
    Anyway as one if the largest breeds of domestic cat with many features common in dogs it would be easy to figure out the stars.

I literally just wondered if school's take pets into account when offering jobs.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

some schools will, if they have their own accommodation. had you considered that landlords may not want you if you have pets? getting accommodation could be a headache.

traveling with pets is not straight forward, and can become very expensive.

9. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Long term post, no problem, BUT the nature of the beast, aka short term contracts, means a lot of upheaval at times. Not ideal to be an animal owner is such circumstances.

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Our pets have travelled with us as we've moved jobs and countries several times. Pretty straight-forward and the costs varies widely - in Germany, we could fly with the cats in the cabin at a cost of about 40 euros per animal (by comparison - flying pets into the UK costs about £500 per animal!). I did look at a teaching job in Tokyo last year that came with accommodation (as Tokyo is so expensive, this would be ideal) but none of the accommodation was pet-friendly so I didn't apply: this is the only time it has stopped me going for a job but I'd rather have our pets with us than a job in Tokyo!

I know not all would choose cats and dogs over Tokyo but you either get it or you don't, I guess - as in, if you're a pet-person you will understand.

towncryer likes this.
  11. loranp

loranp New commenter

I don't believe that the pet passport has anything to do with the EU. I am in the US and would be able to bring my Jack Russell to the UK without quarantine, because he also has a pet passport. All it does is prove that the animal has had the relevant vaccines (rabies, particularly) and is not bringing any infectious diseases into the UK.