1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travelling time!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by wantoteach1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi all!
    I was just wondering how long the journey to uni will be for those who will be staying at home during their PGCE year?
    I'm hoping to apply in September, my journey for both choices (providing I get in) will be just under one and a half hours, that's hoping public transport stay's on my side ha, I get tired thinking about this lol!

2. Hi all!
    I was just wondering how long the journey to uni will be for those who will be staying at home during their PGCE year?
    I'm hoping to apply in September, my journey for both choices (providing I get in) will be just under one and a half hours, that's hoping public transport stay's on my side ha, I get tired thinking about this lol!

3. Around an hour if the train and bus behaves itself!

4. I've applied for Manchester for the PGCE fir this September. I technically could stay living at home which would be an hour and a half commute each way but decided that to be honest, it's not worth it. School placements could be an hour away from the university, which means if it's in the other direction, that could be a 2 and a half hour commute. I just think that the PGCE workload and timetable is time consuming and stressful enough without adding on 3 hours of travelling each day, so decided that moving to Manchester for a year would be a far better option personally.

5. Bear in mind that you're only at your Uni for one-third of your time on PGCE. Two thirds of your time is spent on placement in schools. The Uni will do their best to find school placements for you close to where you are living, although this is not always easy. Nonetheless it may be worth a longer commute to Uni in exchange for a shorter commute to school placement.

6. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

I live right next to the city centre and the uni is outside the city boundary, so I can either get a bus (about an hour travel, probably) or cycle (40 mins). I'll probably do the latter.

7. I'll be travelling from Docklands to New Cross in London. Really easy and short journey, but if the DLR plays up then I'm screwed.
    I might look into cycling into uni instead. It will be a lot cheaper, and some forced exercise will definitely do me some good!