1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travelling for fun

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Nov 6, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Will we carry on travelling the world for pleasure with the risks of terrorist attacks on planes and the finanacial and environmental costs of plane travel. I think the days of the care free trip to the airport to jet off for two weeks of fun have gone.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sadly I think this may be the case for our children.

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I guess if we stop travelling we have played into the terrorists hands.

I remember being to anxious sending my daughter to London the day after 7/7 but she,i her dad and I decided that we - a would let the terrorists win if we didn't and b we did think that it would be unlikely that there would be trouble two days running.
    As to the financial and environmental costs - I guess thats different. However I do think we learn a lot by travelling and meeting other people.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I refuse to believe that yet.

Duke of York and ScotSEN like this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I don't like flying anyway so no difference to me - we'll still be exploring Europe by road.

6. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

There's risks involved in everything. Situations like this highlight flaws in the system and hopefully they'll be eradicated but until then, live on the edge (or travel via Google street view if you want a safe trip)

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You will never deter the invincibility of youth. Youngsters will take it in their stride, it only tends to be elders who read the news and, because they are more aware of their vulnerability, are more likely to be influenced by reports that the end is nigh.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Having recently retired (& now without children at home) I'm just planning lots of trips abroad, both by car and also by plane - this year we will have 6 foreign trips...

Carpe Diem!

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Virtually all aircraft terrorist attacks are preventable given adequate investment in security measures. The real issue is that such investment by airlines and airports is usually reactive in nature (i.e late), and piecemeal in application. A good example is the 'shoe bomb' reaction. The danger (perfectly well known for years previously) is that it is possible to carry explosives on the person.
    Equally obvious is the answer - thoroughly check each passenger for explosives on the body or in their clothes - but, oh no too expensive and inconvenient - let's ignore that bigger picture and instead make everyone take their shoes when shuffling through security - e.g. more of a placebo to calm passengers than any real security measure. I anticipate some equally silly reaction to finding explosives in a truss or bra.

More security means more staff, more inconvenience for passengers and crew and aircraft on the ground for longer - therefore higher prices and lower profits; what organisation is going to take the lead there?

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Flying is already an unpleasant experience with the dreadful crawl through security. it can only get worse. I'm not suggesting we will stop all at once but i think more people will start to think it's not worth the hassle.
    That is probably true.
    Yes. But I think prices and inconvenience levels will go up enough to deter more people.
    Having said that - the Washington / New York trip is all booked!!!

midnight_angel likes this.
  11. Morninglover

I have to say I haven't found air travel to be 'unpleasant' - compared to what? Waiting for a bus on a windy & wet day? Using the London Underground in the rush hour? Crawling round the M25 any time?

Give me air travel anytime!

midnight_angel and colpee like this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm thinking of experiences in Manchester, flying to Malaga - the crowds! And Stansted going anywhere - it's a hole. OK perhaps it's just me - but having to queue for 20 mins to put your outer clothes in a tray and be patted down by a stranger - it's not exactly a pleasure is it. Or being Xrayed through your clothes!! Jeeeeez! If you think about it, it does add up to a pretty grim way to start your holiday.

13. Morninglover

We went to Malaga recently - no problem either way!

My tip - get an early morning flight - queued for about 5 mins for security...and the patting down etc. - got worse when going to a Test Match last summer! X Rayed? No problem.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Our children enjoy the hustle and bustle and all the routines of an airport - and if they are having a good time, so are we generally.

Busy airport - £3 for fast track is the way through security -in fact, in my experience, booking fast track in advance virtually guarantees the airport secuity area being deserted anyway:confused:

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I feel very lucky to have been able to travel as much as I have. My Dad travelled a lot but that was to do with WW2 in the Far East and his subsequent job with the Met Office, most people of that generation didn't travel as much.

We went to Sharm el Sheik about five years ago and made an excursion to ECairo to see the Museum and the pyramids. The following year it all kicked off in Cairo so I'm glad we went when we did.

I think travel for pleasure might become less viable for all the reasons the OP said. It's a shame as my journeys into the less frequented places in the world have been very educational.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Snap regarding Istanbul and Marrakech.
    Not cheered by the news that a Thompson pilot took avoiding action when he saw a missile.

I''m chuckling at the posts from people who enjoy air travel. i have a friend who loves holidays so much that no inconvenience is too much. I think I am just a holiday grump.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Fun? Air travel? I must've missed that memo.

I manage to have fun at home. I dread holidays really. It's OK when we get there but I'd happily not bother.

I honestly don't feel there's any difference between being on the steps of Sacre Coeur or seeing it on TV.

If all passenger air travel is banned tomorrow for perpetuity I shan't care a fig.

18. Morninglover

That's OK, just leave it for me and those of us who love travelling! :D

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I wouldn't let terrorism deter me from travelling. We are only on this earth once and I want to see as much of it as I can! I wouldn't knowingly put myself in danger but will carry on my holidaying habits as previously.

Lascarina likes this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I like visiting new places, it's just finances that curb it these days.

Certainly, one of the times I've been most frightened when travelling, is on the tube from Waterloo at 8am. I expect that if it's a regular thing, you get used to being totally unable to move, but it scared me and I hate to think of the consequences of an 'incident.'

I was told by a neighbour, whose daughter works in security at Gstwick, that they're only a couple of minutes away from security officers and police anywhere there. It's what can happen in those two minutes that's worrying.

I've never enjoyed flying, it seems unnatural, although I understand the statistics and I agree that Stansted is the epitome of awfulness. Especially at 1am!