1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travelling Edinburgh to Jordanhill

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by caz1311, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Hi there - quick post to see if there's anyone else going to be travelling from Edinburgh to Jordanhill for PGDE starting August 2011? Anyone looking to car share / car pool?
    Also, if anyone reading this has done the commute, tips on timings to avoid the worst of the rush hour traffic / typical journey times? What time to leave Edinburgh to arrive in time for a 9am start?
    Thanks! C

2. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

@caz1311, I'm not quite going from Edinburgh but from Fife - I can at least get a direct bus to Glasgow from Dunfermline!
    Normally, I'd leave about an hour from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Getting to Jordanhill, though, means you have to come off the M8 and then battle either with Great Western Road or the road that goes alongside the SECC (name escapest me for a minute) so I reckon your journey could be about an hour and a half (more, depending on where you are in Edinburgh.)
    Given fuel costs - and the fact that parking is apparently difficult after the term for most students starts in September - I'd look into public transport. The bus & train journey times between Edinburgh & Glasgow are relatively similar; there's then a free shuttle bus which runs from the Strathclyde buildings on George Street to Jordanhill. It leaves at 8.10 though, so you'd probably need to be in Glasgow by about 7.50 to give yourself plenty of time to get there.
    I'm going for the bus/shuttle bus option - even though it will mean getting up at about 5.30am to do it!

3. trout-mad

trout-mad New commenter

I'm going to be travelling from Kirkcaldy and was planning to use the car also.

The only time I went through in the rush hour was for my interview which was at 9am. I had to get up at 5.30 and be on the road for 6.30. I got there at about 8.20 and there was plenty car parking spaces.

I looked into getting the train but it works out to be really expensive.

@amysdad what bus are you looking at, the only one I can find is the X26 X27 but that doesn't get you into Glasgow until 0825.

The thing that I am still trying to weigh up is that you can do something on the train like study or sleep whichever is the most urgent but in the car you have to drive.

Also there is a Travelodge not too far from Jordanhill and they do £9 rooms so I am going to stay over a fair bit, especially when I need peace and quiet!

I am interested in car share also.

We'll all just have to see how it works out though.

4. Thanks for the replies! I'm sure we won't be the only ones trekking through from the East...
    I would love the luxury of some travelling time to sleep / study on the train or bus (or staying in Glasgow!), but it's just not an option for me as far as I can see... I live in Leith, so by the time I'd get up to Waverley on the bus, then get to Queen St and finally get the shuttle bus to Jordanhill (8.10 if you turn right out of Queen St to George Square, 8.25 if you turn left and catch it up the top - I think!) I'd be leaving at least half an hour earlier than I would be if driving...think the cost would be higher too... plus I have 2 young children to organise before I leave - 7.15 departure gives me reasonable odds... I hope!
    Fingers crossed my plan beats the traffic both in Edinburgh and in Glasgow and I get 10 mins to close my eyes in the car park before the fun and games commence!!! Just dreading snow etc. I hate the M8 with a passion at the best of times, but it is only for 18 weeks of my life (I keep telling myself!)
    Would be great if someone else were travelling through from Edinburgh though - taking it in turns to drive would be great, even company on the road if someone didn't have a car would be good :)
    Suspect meeting up to travel with you Fife folk would be logistically tricky... though if it's cheaper and / or easier for you to get over to Ed before heading west, you'd be welcome on board :) ... There's a D50 or 51 that gets to Ocean Terminal from Dunfermline, but I have no idea how long it would take. I used to get it occassionally, just up from my previous workplace in Pitreavie business park.
    Oh, and re the parking - I have heard it can be busy, but not sure how many folk will be on Jordanhill campus given that it is winding down this year as stuff moves to the city centre campus... I have heard there is reasonable amount of parking in nearby streets also, so not too worried on that score.
    Very exciting! Very excited :D
    See you on the 29th - obviously, I'll be the one that turns up late because I couldn't find a parking space ;)
    Caz

5. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

@trout-mad - I was looking at the X24 too, it only goes from Glenrothes though but does stop at Dunfermline. Apparently there's a "park and ride" at Kincardine which might actually be quicker, failing that I'll either go to Cairneyhill or Dunfermline for free parking!
    @Caz - know what you mean about organising, as I've got a 9 year old daughter but her mum will be doing the drop-offs now! The train cost is just silly - there is a direct train from Kirkcaldy & Dalgety Bay in the morning but it's over £20 per day. It's annoying, because I can't read on the bus but I'm OK on the train. It's a pity they haven't made the move from Jordanhill this year - it would have meant about 20 minutes less commute.
    Guess we'll just have to spot the people with the bloodshot eyes and say "so, you're commuting from the east too then?!"

6. trout-mad

trout-mad New commenter

I'm quite lucky in that my daughter is only going to be 6 months old when we start so she doesn't take much organising and my wife is still working part time then so she's going to look after things at home.

@Caz might it work to meet up at a central point and leave cars there en route then do the bulk of the journey together? Like South Queensferry / Livingstone / Ratho? It's just finding parking that you wont get tickets.

7. I'm originally from Glasgow, not studying in Jordanhill (travelling to Dundee Uni from Dalgety Bay). There is a great underground service in Glasgow city that offers park and ride and I'm sure one of the stops is near Jordanhill. If I was travelling from Fife to Jordanhill, I would probably drive to Shields Road Underground (just off M8) and take the tube. Hope this helps - now I just need to sort out my travelling/parking to Dundee.

8. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

I know the feeling - my daughter goes to the breakfast club and so my wife will have to do this before driving to Perth!
    It normally takes me about 3/4 of an hour to drive up to Newport. I usually go up the M90 to the junction with the A91, then take the A92 at the big roundabout just after Auchtermuchty. That should get you there in plenty of time for a bus - you'd get off around about the station and it's about a five minute walk up to the University from there.
    You can take the A92 all the way from Crossgates, but at that time in the morning there's often delays at the Redhouse Roundabout by Kirkcaldy so by going the Auchtermuchty way you avoid that. There's actually very little in it in terms of time or distance otherwise.

9. I have a friend who did the opposite journey to yours and she had to get up at 5.30 everyday and I think her bus was just after 6.30 to make sure she got into Edinburgh on time for a 9am start, traffic on M8 can be really bad. She used the time on the bus to catch up on reading.Good luck[​IMG]

10. Hi

I don't live in Edinburgh, but Stirling and I don't envy you your journey! I thought mine was bad enough! I'm taking my car as it is working out to be the quickest and cheapest option. I will probably need to leave the house around 7.15-7.30 to make sure I get there in time for 9am.

My interview was 9am and I left the house at 6.45 and got there by 7.45!! Just a bit early!!

I think I'm going to do a trial journey before the course actually starts, just to get my timings correct - don't want to be late on my first day!

I'm looking forward to starting the course, but not to all the travelling, etc. plus I have four kids to get organised before I leave the house! mmm, gonna be interesting!!

11. Hi there,
    I just done a google check to see if anyone was commuting from Ed to Jordanhill and came across your post. I am going to be studying BA Social Work at Jordanhill from 25th Sept and was looking to possibly car share (I don't drive so would be looking to share with someone else and offer petrol money). I live in EH5. Was going to train it if can't find car share. Let me know if you're interested in a passanger who'll contribute towards fuel. I'll know my timetable in the next wk so will be more def about what days I'd need a lift.
    Many thanks
    IM

12. Also, meant to add you can get train from Edinburgh to Jordanhill changing at Queent street...

13. I'd be glad of some company on the journey for sure :) Will send you a message.