1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travelling and making money at the same time?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Pete-repet, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hello all,

I have just finished my studies, in child education, and I would like to go abroad and explore the world for 4-5 months. I don't have much money so I would like to teach whilst I'm away.

I thought of taking a TEFL course before leaving in September, Do you have any recommendations of smaller companies ?

Thanks

Pete

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

TEFL companies charge (through the nose) however small they are. And if you intend to use it to support yourself, you may find there is very little work, what there is is very badly paid, and you're on a contract so you can't go off and explore.

Some people have a great time teaching TEFL - others find themselves exploited and all the poorer for it.

Be careful.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You'll also find it difficult to find such work if you can't offer them very long before you move on in your "travelling" - plus, it's not the sort of work you can just pick up as you go.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And, of course, you would have to get a National insurance number or work permit in each country, sign up for health care and tax . . . Do you actually know how to do this here, yet alone in somewhere foreign?

I think that this is a dream and not possible, sorry!

Try this and similar:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad?gclid=CMWO4_2el8YCFYjKtAodSjYPDg

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Another really radical idea- how about getting a job, saving money, and then going travelling when you can actually afford to do so?

6. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

If he's looking at TEFL this is incorrect.

Many TEFL outfits operate cash in hand and their health insurance is the travel insurance the 'teacher' took out before leaving home.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Y'know what?

I don't actually go in for advising people to carry out illegal employment . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

8. davidbowiefan

Oh dear!

I am not advising. I am saying is that this is how many TEFL outfits operate. Last week there was a TEFL poster on the Overseas forum who hadn't managed to obtain a payslip since 2006.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, I understood you to say that my advice was incorrect as I didn't mention this!

There is a lot of dodgy work available in all countries, English language teaching being right there alongside selling fake handbags and rip-off DVDs on the beach.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

10. davidbowiefan

Once again Theo Griff I'm afraid your advice is incorrect.

Your ideas about National Insurance numbers and so on are very UK-centric. In some countries you are in the system immediately but in others, it can take months for you to be processed and by the time all the paperwork you specify is done, the employee will be on their way home. In the countries where I worked, I never once had to apply for a national insurance number or 'sign up for healthcare and tax'. The employer does all of this for you.

Having done EFL teaching before I did my PGDE, I always had payslips and in places where I needed health insurance, this was provided too. So you are incorrect in saying its the same as selling DVDs on the beach. My advice, which unlike yours is based on experience, would be to choose an EFL employer carefully. There's a bit more to it than the level of paperwork they provide.

11. davidbowiefan

As an afterthought Theo Griff, can you confirm that if you see EFL teaching on a candidate's CV you would consider it to be the same as selling DVDs on the beach? Can you really think that TESOL lecturing in an overseas university, for example, or teaching EAL in an overseas school, is the same as selling DVDs?

You are presenting yourself as an expert on recruitment but you display a worrying degree of ignorance.

12. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Over-reaction there, DBF. I too have lived in the world of EFL overseas, both in the cowboy schools and in the crack professional EFL outfits, and both of you make valid points but from different perspectives. And Theo is not saying that all EFL is akin to selling DVDs on the beach - some of it is well respected. But there are the dodgy ones out there too, and your point about choosing an EFL employer carefully is actually exactly what Theo is arguing.

13. davidbowiefan

If its what she is arguing, this is a strange way to put it.

'There is a lot of dodgy work available in all countries, English language teaching being right there alongside selling fake handbags and rip-off DVDs on the beach.'

It doesn't say some English language teaching is like selling DVDs. In fact the number of jobs that are completely unskilled is very small so what she says is misleading to the point that it is simply wrong.

Theo Griff has little knowledge of the EFL world but it hasn't stopped her from offering advice.

14. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Have it your way. I was trying to negotiate a compromise there, but if you're determined to pick a fight, I'll step out of the way.

15. davidbowiefan

Her advice, offered on a forum for professional people, is misleading and inaccurate. If you wish to view this as picking a fight that's up to you.

16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

If the OP wanted to spend a summer (particular July & August) in one town/city, it would be possible to get work. In particular, many EU countries would allow the OP to work legally and various paperwork sorted. There are very reputable FE colleges that offer a CELTA course (1 month full-time) and all reputable schools would/should expect this. The OP could look at the various EFL sites and get advice.

I only know about working in the EU as did for six years part-time in Ireland but thought I would post as the OP could work teaching TEFL but not for a week here and there.

17. I would like to thank everyone for all the advice.

I have several contacts that could help me easily get a serious non dodgy job as a 1 to 1 teacher.

I am also planning to stay 2 months in one place then 3 months in another.

I have found a course with Cactus that interests me, do you know about them?

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't be daft!

Nothing that I said suggested that.

Whereas this:

is most definitely dodgy practice, and thus akin to any unregulated employment.

Such as selling rip-off DVDs on the beach.

Since in my immediate family we have brothers who are respectively (a) a Head of a British School (b) the owner of an English Language School and (c) a Professor in a University - all EU - you can assume that I am aware that there is Teaching Abroad and teaching abroad.

And in a unit that pays you cash in hand is not what I would recommend to anyone.

Then ignore me if you wish.

Best wishes

19. davidbowiefan

I'd suggest that anyone seeking advice from you on this subject does precisely that. Its clear you are not speaking from experience.

20. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Give it up DBF, you sound like a petulant teenager...