1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travelling after PGCE - NQT Information/Help!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Trevulate, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hello there, I'm currently half way through my PGCE which ends in June/July. I have been planning for some time to travel to Australia and New Zealand late 2011/early 2012 and was hoping to do some agency work following my PGCE to gain more work experience (and some cash) before travelling but I am unsure how this will affect my NQT (if at all). I am fully aware that to gain NQT you have to bank 3 full terms, but what if I was to hypothetically start teaching as a cover teacher between September and December in a handful of schools? Would I then have a time limit in which to start (and complete) my induction year?
    Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Steve

2. Hello there, I'm currently half way through my PGCE which ends in June/July. I have been planning for some time to travel to Australia and New Zealand late 2011/early 2012 and was hoping to do some agency work following my PGCE to gain more work experience (and some cash) before travelling but I am unsure how this will affect my NQT (if at all). I am fully aware that to gain NQT you have to bank 3 full terms, but what if I was to hypothetically start teaching as a cover teacher between September and December in a handful of schools? Would I then have a time limit in which to start (and complete) my induction year?
    Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Steve

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No time limit for the NQT year but you induction limit of 16 months starts from your first days supply (even if you only do that 1 day in 16 months). If you won't be doing much prior to going travelling I'd to CS or TA work but WOULDN'T start teaching supply until you got back. Have fun on your travels! x