1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Writing - Observed Lesson

Discussion in 'English' started by mrttocs2002, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've an observed lesson coming up next week with my year 8 mixed group. It will be a 50 minute lesson.
    I'm looking to do a travel writing lesson with them. I have a few ideas but if anyone could aid me by sugessting some good ideas I would very much appreciate it.
    Many Thanks.

2. Hi all,
    I've an observed lesson coming up next week with my year 8 mixed group. It will be a 50 minute lesson.
    I'm looking to do a travel writing lesson with them. I have a few ideas but if anyone could aid me by sugessting some good ideas I would very much appreciate it.
    Many Thanks.

3. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I've just been revising a travel writing scheme of work for year 8 mixed ability. What sort of thing do you have in mind? My plan for lessons (I tried some last year, with varying success) is:
    1. Intro to travel writing, 3 key types and features (with a nice Judith Chalmers clip at DisneyLand Paris before it opened :D
    2. Writing to guide - getting students to use a map of the school and write directions which guide the reader
    3. Descriptive writing - analysing a writer's use of language and then their homework is to write their own descriptive piece
    4. Identifying points of view in a text
    5. Comparing 2 different views of a text (very very basic...)
    6. Writing an article for a magazine.

I think my final piece will be paired work on a travel guide to a holiday destination of their choice, which has to include all 3 types of writing. Or possibly individual work. Not sure yet. Yet another writing assessment does not fill me with joy.

Can give you more info on any of the above if you wish.

Sorry for lack of spaces - Google Chrome

4. What about starting with guessing some countries/flags etc then, printing off a big blank map of the world for each child. Get them to choose 3 countries they would like to visit, find them on the map (you will need some atlases for them to locate) colour code them and then write up a bit about why they have chosen this place/what they think it is like etc. It could be part of an ongoing scheme where you get them to make a travel leaflet in the future. To finish you could get a few to read their choices and discuss why they have chosen them. I have done something similar and it worked really well.

5. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter