1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trash and Treasure words...getting the boys writing!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giggles_88, Apr 18, 2012.

1. I set out a treasure chest today with some coins with words on inside. I acted with my colleagues that we had no idea where it had come from. We looked inside and found a letter from a pirate looking for help. He needed us to sort the good treasure from the rubbish. The children were so excited and we began sorting. There were lots of rubbish words and only a few treasure words so I asked the children how the pirate might feel when he comes back and finds most of the treasure was trash and what we could do about it. They were full of ideas about writing him letters to explain, phoning him up and getting him to come in so we could show him how to sound out, eventually someone said we could make him some treasure words ourselves (the answer I was hoping for!)
    The activity was left out all day for children to choose to take part in without any adult support. At the end of the day we had nearly 100 coins with words they had sounded out and tricky words they had remembered how to write or copied from our word wall. They were so pleased with themselves when we counted them out and knew they had done a good deed for the pirate! One of the boys who always claims he ''can't do it'' when we come to do any writing went to the table with his friend and got to work all by himself sounding out CVC words.
    Ahh don't you just love the early years! [​IMG]

2. I set out a treasure chest today with some coins with words on inside. I acted with my colleagues that we had no idea where it had come from. We looked inside and found a letter from a pirate looking for help. He needed us to sort the good treasure from the rubbish. The children were so excited and we began sorting. There were lots of rubbish words and only a few treasure words so I asked the children how the pirate might feel when he comes back and finds most of the treasure was trash and what we could do about it. They were full of ideas about writing him letters to explain, phoning him up and getting him to come in so we could show him how to sound out, eventually someone said we could make him some treasure words ourselves (the answer I was hoping for!)
    The activity was left out all day for children to choose to take part in without any adult support. At the end of the day we had nearly 100 coins with words they had sounded out and tricky words they had remembered how to write or copied from our word wall. They were so pleased with themselves when we counted them out and knew they had done a good deed for the pirate! One of the boys who always claims he ''can't do it'' when we come to do any writing went to the table with his friend and got to work all by himself sounding out CVC words.
    Ahh don't you just love the early years! [​IMG]

3. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

I LOVE this. We're doing pirates soon and I will definitely be trying this one out. It's so satisfying when children who lack confidence suddenly get that boost! Congrats on a great day!

4. This was lovely to read. Thanks for sharing.