1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trapped time - again

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dimpled1, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Last year I had two hours per week trapped on a .6 timetable. This year six hours trapped - which equates to more than a day - one day I teach session one, three and five, another day one, four and five. Head won't budge as he does not want split classes.

Any suggestions??

2. Last year I had two hours per week trapped on a .6 timetable. This year six hours trapped - which equates to more than a day - one day I teach session one, three and five, another day one, four and five. Head won't budge as he does not want split classes.

Any suggestions??

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've copied something I wrote in another similar thread. Whether it works will depend on how many part-timers your school has, and how willing your timetabler is to look at possible fixes. It's a way that you might be able to get your 1/3/5 to 2/3/4, or the 1/4/5 to 2/4/5, which is at least a little improvement.

Sometimes, a "bitty day" can be improved by swapping eg periods 4 and
    5 for the entire school - it makes little difference to anyone else
    (although obviously there's always a bit of moaning about who you get
    last lesson), so provided they check that it hasn't undone things for
    another part-timer, it may be a way to tidy the timetable a little. It
    needs to be adjacent periods that are swapped, usually, as most
    timetablers will have made an effort to balance morning/afternoon
    lessons in core subjects: swapping periods 1 and 5 is likely to affect
    that significantly.
    (I was in a school once who did this
    manoeuvre mid-year. Their reason was actually to solve the problem of a
    year group who persisted in taking ages getting changed after PE period
    4, but it also tidied my part-time timetable in the process. In that
    case, they announced the proposed change and asked people to let them
    know if they could see any problem.)

4. Thanks for the reply, sadly the timetabler told me that there was nothing he could do and the head had warned part timers to expect this. Nobody else has any trapped time.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It might still be worth making the specific suggestion. Timetablers don't necessarily know all the tricks, and they may just mean that they've looked and not seen an easy individual lesson swap that they can make.