1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trapped - BBC4

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Feb 17, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Anyone else watching it?

Quite enjoying it, didn't really expect too... the wife doesn't understand why anyone would want to live in Iceland [the weather puts her off].

Anyway we watched eps 1 and 2 last two nights and now got to wait for Saturday for ep3.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Rather good I thought - in a gloomy and depressing scandinavian way.

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Yup, we enjoyed it (though I put on a jumper between episodes one and two - just watching the show gave me the shivers.)

I'm not sure why the main character came across as sympathetic, given that he's grumpy, shambolic and a bit of a mess all round. But I found myself rooting for him.

Some interesting minor characters; the captain is clearly up to something and those two children are by no means angelic.

It will make an excellent accompaniment to our Saturday evening glass of wine for the next few weeks. Huzzah!

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I will definitely be watching this. Iceland is lovely, by the way, and I'd like to go again but I don't think I could cope with the long winters either.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Looks good - quite a lot of good crime fiction coming out of Iceland these days.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  6. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I love gloomy and depressing Scandinavian everything.

7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Why do you say Huzzah instead of Hurray or even Yay? Huzzah is so irritating.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes - enjoying it. Have read some if the crime stuff too. By the by have I read somewhere that Icelanders share @ 20 surnames ? Kind of makes sense !

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The surnames fascinate me, Dottir.... I assume it is 'daughter'... so their surname is like Richardson but carried over... at least that was my assumption... I have yet to Google it to confirm.

*other search engines are available.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There used to be a book, now it's a phone app, for Icelanders to check out the family tree of new people they meet to see if they are too closely related to pursue a relationship.

minnie me and lanokia like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's what was explained to us in Iceland - so Sally Magnusson should be Sally Magnusdottir - probably changed it to comply with UK customs.

cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  12. FrankWolley

She is Scottish, not Icelandic, so the name is correctly Magnusson.

I can recommend her book about dementia, based on her experience of dealing with her (Scottish) mother:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FRKPECM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Very moving.

13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I loved it! Right up my street, gloomy settings, interesting characters, chance to learn a language and great plot.

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Excellent! Can't wait for the next episode.This is an excellent Icelandic author. He writes Crime stories set in Iceland. Arnaldur Indridason.

15. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I love Iceland, and I enjoy a gloomy crime drama. And I'm quite partial to a big hairy Scandinavian. So it's win win for me! That Danish captain is a wrong 'un though. Not sure why yet, but I'd not want to board his ferry.

16. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Quite right too. You'd end up legless.

emerald52 and MrsArmitage like this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Ok, bad example, but that's how the naming system works.

18. FrankWolley

19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's very good but even more "noir" than the usual BBC4 offering!

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just starting it tonight. Husband loves this sort of thing.