1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transvaginal and pelvic scan

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lardylady, Jul 11, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Has anyone had one of these? I dread smear tests, but always make sure I have them regularly, even though I fond them incredibly uncomfortable, and at times painful. I have to have a transvaginal and pelvic scan in a couple of weeks time and I am very worried and feeling panicky - how big is the probe? [​IMG] Any info will be gratefully received!

2. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Has anyone had one of these? I dread smear tests, but always make sure I have them regularly, even though I fond them incredibly uncomfortable, and at times painful. I have to have a transvaginal and pelvic scan in a couple of weeks time and I am very worried and feeling panicky - how big is the probe? [​IMG] Any info will be gratefully received!

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm afraid I know nothing, but wanted to wish you luck. I'm sure you'll be in good hands and it will be made as comfortable as possible.
    Eva x x x

4. Is this the ultrasound thing? I've had two. The probe I was errrr... probed with was chipolata-shaped and sized. 2 cm wide, 10-12 cm long. Slathered in KY jelly. No problemo. Not even faintly uncomfortable. Much better than a smear.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

About the size of your middle finger?

It's ok to ask the sonographer if you can guide it in too...

6. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Thanks for your replies- I feel much less apprehensive now [​IMG]

7. Have had one before, but have another one to look forward to on Saturday. They are nothing to worry about, and I'm certainly not worried about this one!

8. No where near as bad as a smear. Longer but narrower, smooth plastic with a codomon and ky jelly.

You have a wedge (think of the shape of a cartoon slice of cheese) under your bum/thighs to get you at the right angle.

You might have the doc/tech/sonographer press on your belly as well.

Oh and at least you can go to the loo first

9. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Thanks! The impulse to cross my legs every time I think about it isn't quite so strong now!

10. Snap! 8.45 on a Saturday - plus a Colposcopy tomomorrow morning!

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My experience also.
    I find smears horribly painful - the last one I had was nasty.

12. Had loads and really not uncomfortable at all! My last smear was incredibly uncomfortable - the scans were a walk in the park by comparison! And because it's an ultrasound the room is quite dimly lit so you don't feel as self conscious!

13. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Oh good grief me too. I have a vasovagal reaction when the nurse does the scrapy thing. It makes me dizzy and faint. It's not that uncommon, apparently, but none of the nurses who have ever done my smear seem to have heard of it. :(

14. I made the sonographer laugh referring to it as the "d...do cam" - her comment was that apparently in the past they used to vibrate!

As for smears - I've had one too many when they've managed to catch a pubic hair with the freezing cold metal duckbilled carjack of doom. Owww