1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting children

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Tigerfly, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Tigerfly

Tigerfly New commenter

I have been asked by my Head teacher, to drive 2 children to a lesson off site. It would be weekly event. They will cover mileage and parking.
    Am I being unreasonable if I don't want to do this?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

just say no

3. Tigerfly

Tigerfly New commenter

I would really like to offer them a different solution, because I know this lesson is really important. They are special needs kids.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Insurance?
    Safeguarding?

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Parental permission
    Insurance for business use. Who will pay any additional premium. Will it be to the same place, or different places each week? That could make a difference to the insurance too.
    As @lizziescat says, safeguarding.

If it’s really important, could the parents take the? Or organise a taxi firm each week.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

not your problem. Don't allow your self to be emotionally blackmailed

7. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

If you’re a teacher surely you time would be better spent teaching. I’d ask them to get a taxi and, if necessary, have them accompanied by a TA

jlishman2158, install and Corvuscorax like this.
  8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Within your rights to say ‘no’

jlishman2158 and install like this.
  9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You can't be expected to use your own car but if you do choose to do this, the school (or education authority) should be checking your car insurance, MOT and driving license to make sure they are all-up-to date and appropriate for business use. As well as your car being your private property, these are your personal documents so you can choose to say 'no'.

10. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Just say no. This is not a teacher's job. What happens if you are ill or have a hospital appointment. Perhaps the HT or SMT should be doing this job will lot more free time. What are the age of the children ? are you male and have been asked to asked to take female pupils ?

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Given your Head has asked you, it’s not an issue in terms of ‘would the Head approve.’

There are 2 pupils so from a safeguarding point of view this is a lot better than one pupil where I would advocate refusal or two members of staff.

Would this be in your car or a school minibus? Maybe the latter would make it more ‘official’ if you pass the minibus test.

Do you have any points on your licence? The Head may reconsider if you bring up a speeding fine you received a year ago say

jlishman2158, Tigerfly and install like this.
  12. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

What is the school’s policy on transporting pupils? Will they also pay the uplift for business insurance on your policy?

I would not ever risk my career by driving children alone or driving them for reasons other than a safeguarding situation, for example an uncollected child after a school disco where it would be safer (under my duty of care) to drive a child home than to leave to parent request of them walking home alone in the dark. I would not get into any regular taxi-ing arrangement myself nor would I ask or encourage any of my staff team to do so.

I’d advise the school arranging for a taxi or public transport to do this, with two school adults (non teachers as I need my teachers teaching the rest of the children) accompanying the two children. Ensuring, of course, all appropriate checks are done. Regardless of policies, I do think any of us who drive other peoples’ children around do open ourselves up to extra risk.

snowyhead, jlishman2158 and install like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Too much could go wrong and 'you' would get the blame each time. Wait till you are asked again. Then simply say: ' No - can't do it '. And never ever be a martyr, potential scapegoat or taxi driver for someone else's kids. The head is wrong to ask you and is being unfair.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I thought the title referred to transporting children

...to an Australian penal colony

...in a convict ship

...as an alternative to lunchtime detention or some useless 'restorative justice'.

Good idea!

In a car is not such a good idea though.

Yes, I have done it. In the 1970s it was quite common for teachers to drop off children who had not been picked up by a late parent.

These days I would only consider risking it if a child had to be taken to A&E and the ambulance was delayed.

15. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

The safeguarding issue is huge and if you do this it sets a precedent and other staff might be asked to do the same. This is not your problem and not a good use of your time. The head is on dodgy ground asking you to do this.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would possibly say yes if a TA also accompanied and it wasn't very far.
    Could you suggest two TAs who might do it together, if you don't want to?

I'd not want to put two children with SEND in a taxi by themselves, so at least one adult needs to go with them.
    Would you be happy to do this?

It is perfectly fine for your head to have asked you.
    It is perfectly fine for you to say yes or no, as you wish.

17. Tigerfly

Tigerfly New commenter

We don't have TA's, all staff are qualified SEN teachers.

18. Tigerfly

Tigerfly New commenter

I have suggested the Taxi solution thanks for suggesting it and said I would be fine going as there would be other teacher at the venue and the driver during the journey.

19. Tigerfly

Tigerfly New commenter

I agree, but the precedent had been set. :( Hope someone else doesn't say they are happy to do it. I fear I have used up a lot of my good will asking for flexible hours.

install likes this.
  20. Tigerfly

Tigerfly New commenter

Thank you everyone!
    Sometimes you just need reassurance that what you were thinking was what other think too, when the workplace culture says different.