1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transporting cats...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Feb 20, 2011.

1. My need to have their jabs next week. I have only taken all three in the car once, and it was a nightmare. They broke out of one of the carriers, I had to get out of the car, losing one in the process. He ran along the road for a minute until he realised he didn't know where he was and allowed me to catch him. THey all wailed all the way - so stressful.
    Anyway it is that time again. I don't know whether it really makes any difference where in the car you put them - shall I grit my teeth and put them all in the boot, taking off the parcel shelf, or try and pile them into the front so that the can "see Mummy"? Do you think it really makes any difference to them? The vet is only about 10 mins away so it isn't the end of the world. Last time I had them booked in one of the b.uggers wou;dn't come and so I had to find her when we got home, entailing two trips. I would like to avoid that if poss. Advice very much appreciated, please!

2. Invest in a large plastic carrier, preferably dog-sized, and put all of them in together. Three of mine will quite happily snuggle up together in their big carrier.

3. My cats do exactly the same - exploding out of cat carriers mid journey etc. I now just stick them in their box in the boot where it's dark, they seem to find it less stressful. To be honest I expect we find it more stressful than they do. Drape something like a towel over the box too so they are really in the dark. Good luck!

4. I put all my cats into one carrier (not one of the basket ones, far to easy to break out of) and endured the few minutes of howling.
    They sulked back home but I could live with that.
    To get them into the thing in the first place - involved hiding it, catching them by the scruff of the neck and just throwing them in there. I found putting a towel over the "window" bit calmed them down.
    I put them on the back seat - boot of the car seems a wee bit too cruel for my tastes.

5. Thanks. I do have a big carrier and two of mine get on, I could try that. Wondering whether to keep them in the boot but have the seats down so that it is open and they can see me - as the car is pretty new I don't fancy wee wee or sick all over the place.
    I hate making them upset, I know it has to be done.

6. Thanks. I do have a big carrier and two of mine get on, I could try that. Wondering whether to keep them in the boot but have the seats down so that it is open and they can see me - as the car is pretty new I don't fancy wee wee or sick all over the place.
    I hate making them upset, I know it has to be done.

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Catching them might be a problem ;)
    Is their appointment near a feed time, if not perhaps tweak their feed so that they're all around at that time?
    Good luck, I won't post the story about feeding a cat a tablet...

8. You will know your cats best - but I always found mine were more peaceful if I covered the carrier with a towel and they couldn't see me.

9. i don't know best!! It's what I have always done, that's all. I can soon get a blanket to cover all of them. It will probably all be over in half an hour, and once they are home they won't remember. I can give them a ring at 8.30 and depending on when the appt comes through will do the food thing. I so think we need to hear the pill story!
    Thanks again.

10. Sorry yes I know my cats best but I don;t know what is best for them really. Either way they will no doubt gang up and be a pain in the neck.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our carrier has a tray in the bottom which slides out. This is especially handy for extracting the moggy at the vet's. Given half a chance she will hang on with every available limb to avoid coming out of the carrier.

We strap her carrier into the back seat of the car and she yowls all the way there. To make it less stressful we turn it into a song where each yowl is a missing word from the lyrics, ie:
    "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know YOWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL".

It helps pass the time ;-)

12. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

My two go in separate plastic cat carriers. We did used to put a blanket over big cat's carrier as he was a terrible yowler - but he's spent so much time at the vet's over the past 12 months that he doesn't mind going there anymore as he loves it!
    Usually little cat's carrier is on my knee in the front of the car, so's she can see us both.

13. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Well it has been posted before but here goes:
    <h2>How to give a cat a pill</h2><ol>[*]Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.[*]Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.[*]Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.[*]Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.[*]Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.[*]Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.[*]Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.[*]Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down the straw.[*]Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.[*]Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.[*]Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.[*]Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.[*]Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash pill down.[*]Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and remove pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.[*]Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.</ol>

<h2>How to give a dog a pill</h2>
    <ol>[*]Wrap it in bacon.</ol>

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Reading this makes me glad to have dogs.
    When it's hurling it down with rain and I have to take them out then I feel rather differently though!

15. magic surf bus

Look on the bright side - at least you won't get Tom Dogs sneaking in through the Dog Flap late at night, scoffing your Dog's food then spraying your lounge and kitchen furniture with their **** glands to mark their new-found territory.

16. The mog reacts incredibly badly to being transported - will wail, curse, yowl, miaowl, vomit, pee and poo before you've got out of the street. Have had various things suggested like feliway to chill her out - but I found there's slightly less indignation if she CAN'T see out of the carrier and I just keep her at the slightly less awesome vets because it's much nearer to us. Turning the radio up doesn't work - she just turns the indignation up to compensate.
    In contrast the dog loves the car so he's at shiny incredibly lots of gadgetty vet practice further away.

17. magic surf bus

How about catnip? Supposedly the feline equivalent of rolling a fat one.

18. I have one cat that yowls all the way to the vet, and sleeps all the way back.
    It's not the car she hates, obviously (and no, I don't mean she sleeps because she's been sedated!)

19. Pill story is brilliant, and thanks for all the advice. 2.40 this afternoon. Wish me luck...

20. My mother's cat has a gummy shoulder and has to have anti-infamitaries for it. At 9pm he starts the pill campain. At 9:30 he stands on the bathroom vanity as Mum cleans her teeth. As she leaves the bathroom he races to corner of the bed jumps up. Tilts his head up and recieves his medication gratefully with only a small grumble about how long he has had to wait. He will not allow her to forget to give it to him. Is it just me or does the cat sound like an addict?