1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transport and Journeys: Creative Development activity ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hoody_f, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Hiya everyone. Next half term we are going to be doing the topic Transport and Journeys. I have nearly finished the medium term plan but can't think of any exciting Creative activities. Any ideas?? I am in Reception.

Thank you

Hoody x

2. Hiya everyone. Next half term we are going to be doing the topic Transport and Journeys. I have nearly finished the medium term plan but can't think of any exciting Creative activities. Any ideas?? I am in Reception.

Thank you

Hoody x

3. hi,
    1) you could make vehicle mobiles to hang up

2) boat pictures using shapes (even though that is maths)

3)chn, could make (paint) a red bus, you could then attach wheels using paper fasteners to make the wheels go round and round (as in the song), and then you could take their picture and put it in the bus (as a driver)

4) chn could paint a selection of vehicles and then you could use them to make a busy street display

5) 3d vehicles using junk modelling (although this is more k&u)

don't forget that creative is also music and drama, so you could sing:
    the wheels on the bus
    row row row your boat
    5 little men in a flying saucer
    practise making the sounds of the vehicles with your mouth.

also, you could get large boxes and leave them outside in your playground, chn would easily turn this into a boat/ bus/ car etc (you could also give them a round plate to act as a steerng wheel)

i will try and think of more ideas for you

4. Line patterns with plastic vehicle wheels dipped in paint

Make maps

Make papier mache islands for boats to 'sail' around (egg cartons on base board, paper strips stuck over)

Clay inprints - textured tiles

'Take your black marker/paintbrush or a walk', then paint in shapes created with colour. Could do thaton computer too Paint program

Make a city with boxes, lay out roads and then use plastic vehiles to get round (KUW?)

5. NellySparks

NellySparks New commenter

Hi
    There is a really lovely book called 'We all go travelling by' sorry can't remember who it's by. It is a super book and cd- singing the story of the book. Really good for transport and colour and geographical features.

Why not get the children to use wheels to print pictures.

You could also give them large sheets of paper to make thier own roads and town. My Reception love that.

6. We got some big boxes, pushed the bottom out and the children painted them as cars then got inside and 'drove' them (for the older ones of you think romper room). They loved them and drove them both inside and out, took them to the garage to be filled up, at the petrol pumps we made from more boxes and garden hose, the mechanics repaired them. they had worked in groups to choose colour, design and paint so the endless fun lasted for weeks as when finished they took it in turns to take them home for a few days before bringing them back to share with another child.

7. Thank you! These are very helpful! xxx

8. Hi is there any chance you could post your planning on website. Im really struggling for ideas?