1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Translations for parents evening?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by School Boy Error, Oct 16, 2011.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I always go for exuberant in that instance.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Why pussyfoot around the issue?
    In that instance I'd say that he needs to concentrate more, because he is often talking when he should be getting on with his work.
    I'm careful not to be rude when discussing children, but I will be direct and say what I mean - if you are too subtle, then parents don't always understand what you are trying to say.
    This year, there are a lot of children in my Reception class with poor social skills and a lot of children that are plain naughty. I'll be looking for positives to say about each child, but I'll also say that many can't share and take turns, that some don't like being told what to do and don't like it if they don't get their own way, and that some of them have had temper tantrums.
    I don't think it does the parents, the child, or future teachers of that child if you don't make what you want to say really clear.
    A couple of years ago, my own daughter's teacher told me quite bluntly that she could be a bit bossy with her friends. I wasn't offended, because I knew that the teacher had a good relationship with Cariadlet and was just being honest with me. It was good to hear later in the year that she wasn't as bossy as she had been. I'd rather have the truth, and most parents know what their children are really like even if they don't like to admit it publicly.