1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Translation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by raghad, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hi all. I have to plan a lesson on translation and teach to year10 for 30 minutes as part of interview. Any ideas on how to start on this topic taking into account this set have not studied transformations before??Thanks

2. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Firstly, they have studied it before. Translations are on the programme of study for Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9... so they can't have made it to Year 10 without meeting them!

You should be looking at using vector notation and maybe throwing in some 4-quadrant grid work to consolidate their learning of coordinates. Depending on the level of the group, you might work with simple points or shapes or graphs etc.

Bearing in mind that Year 5s are able to translate a shape on a coordinate grid, I'm confused as to why you think they haven't studied transformations?

3. No it's not my thinking it's what the letter of interview says, "The class have not studies transformation prior to your lesson with them', I felt confused as well becuase i taught it to year8 last term.
    Now do you suggest I check the NC for this set ?

4. I meant NC level

5. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

I would imagine that they mean the students haven't been studying it recently, not that they have never encountered it.
    Looking at the NC levels will be helpful. What information about the students do you have? Levels? Predicted grades etc?

6. What would you have done if its not an interview lesson?
    What did you teach the year 8s last term?
    With all due respect you should know how to teach this if you have done so in the past. Is the question really "What would make a good lesson?"
    If you are looking to structure this then my key points to establish:
    Starter - can they handle the 4 quadrants of a cartesian axis...this needs establishing and certainly dont take it for granted if these kids have not done translation before. So some simple ponits to label on the whiteboard would be a light starter.
    Main - establish what is meant by a translation explaining no change in shape takes place. Give the kids different notation and get the moving a shape around from the origin and understanding direction and magnitude. "(-2,1) means move left 2 and up 1"
    Perhaps do a few where pupils must state the translation thats taken place, then introduce some where they must translate a shape by a given vector (even though vector notation is off the foundation syllabus as of this year[​IMG])
    Moving the shape from 3,4 to -1,-2 might be a choice with pupils stating the full transformation would be an ideal with differentiation to suit.
    <u>How you structure all of that is down to your teaching skills</u> and lends itself to some visual representation (ICT) and some discussion. You can set youtself apart from other candidates based on your approach to that. My suggestions would be the main points I would want to get over initially.

7. Thanks Beta for your ideas. Off course I know how to teach this topic, but I wanted to get more ideas and activities. I think I have now a clear structure in my head.

8. What was not good in the last lesson when you did it then?

9. Translation?
    On pourrait tousjours enseigner en Francais! [​IMG]

10. C'est tous le grec pour moi!

11. &Epsilon;?&nu;&alpha;&iota; ?&lambda;&alpha; &epsilon;&lambda;&lambda;&eta;&nu;&iota;&kappa;? &mu;&omicron;&upsilon;.

12. That's all Greek to me!