1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Translation work

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by raquelina, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Any ideas about how to get translation work (Spanish to English)? I have lived in Spain for 18 years but can't seem to make any headway in this field despite my language skills. Very frustrated!

2. Any ideas about how to get translation work (Spanish to English)? I have lived in Spain for 18 years but can't seem to make any headway in this field despite my language skills. Very frustrated!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Have you tried the European Union?
    http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/workwithus/index_en.htm

4. Yes but I think they require 2 languages at a high level and my French isn't up to standard anymore!

5. Blanca1

Blanca1 New commenter

Your first step is to join a professional association, such as ASETRAD in Spain or the ITI/ IOL in the UK. They run plenty of CPDs, marketing skills, qualifications, etc.
    You need to find a field of expertise - all translations have a unique selling point. Language skills are not the only thing you need, but also commercial skills and good knowledge of the topics you are translating.
    Also check Proz and similar- do your research on the net.
    It is an extremelly competitive virtual environment. it takes an average of 3 years to be a settled translator (working self-employed) in the UK.
    From someone with 4 years experience,
    B.

6. Blanca1

Blanca1 New commenter

Your first step is to join a professional association, such as ASETRAD in Spain or the ITI/ IOL in the UK. They run plenty of CPDs, marketing skills, qualifications, etc.
    You need to find a field of expertise - all translations have a unique selling point. Language skills are not the only thing you need, but also commercial skills and good knowledge of the topics you are translating.
    Also check Proz and similar- do your research on the net.
    It is an extremelly competitive virtual environment. it takes an average of 3 years to be a settled translator (working self-employed) in the UK.
    From someone with 4 years experience,
    B.

7. Thanks for all your advice!