1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Translation of the learning objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Jan 11, 2011.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi all.
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who has difficulty with this: after having a chat with numerous people on my primary education course and with some teaching staff, it seems I'm not. Does anyone else have real trouble interpreting the learning objectives from the PNS and deciphering what you actually need to cover? Last year (on my first placement, with Y5) there were times when I found it really difficult to actually understand what was required. I would have thought that there would be more advice or help with this, but, other than limited advice on the strategies site, I am yet to find anything too useful. Any help would be great - how do you get your head around what the children actually need to do when the learning objective is unclear? (i.e. What do you put as the success criteria?) Some examples would probably help.

Thankyou :)

2. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi all.
    I'm sure I'm not the only person who has difficulty with this: after having a chat with numerous people on my primary education course and with some teaching staff, it seems I'm not. Does anyone else have real trouble interpreting the learning objectives from the PNS and deciphering what you actually need to cover? Last year (on my first placement, with Y5) there were times when I found it really difficult to actually understand what was required. I would have thought that there would be more advice or help with this, but, other than limited advice on the strategies site, I am yet to find anything too useful. Any help would be great - how do you get your head around what the children actually need to do when the learning objective is unclear? (i.e. What do you put as the success criteria?) Some examples would probably help.

Thankyou :)

3. Gloriousness

Gloriousness New commenter

If you could share some of the "tricky" ones, I think people would find it easier to contribute :)

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

You need to decide yourself what the learning objectives need to be, rather than taking them from some obscure document written by people who have never met the children you are teaching. That way, you are totally clear about what the learning objective is, and therefore you will be able to design suitable activities to ensure that the learning takes place, and even, if you really must, write some success criteria.