1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transitions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by laurapie, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hello,

I am wondering how other schools manage their transitions, both into Nursery and into Reception. Our early years team is looking into improving what we currently offer (for nursery home visits, and for reception not very much beyond the county induction day sadly) I am looking for any good ideas/suggestions we could try.

Thanks
    L

2. Hello,

I am wondering how other schools manage their transitions, both into Nursery and into Reception. Our early years team is looking into improving what we currently offer (for nursery home visits, and for reception not very much beyond the county induction day sadly) I am looking for any good ideas/suggestions we could try.

Thanks
    L

3. Our Nursery class is split into two groups; for induction last year we invited each group to come in for two visits for roughly an hour. Group a came in week 1, group b in week 2 then we repeated this the following fortnight.
    In terms of transition from nursery into reception, all of the children are invited to visit the class on the afternoon when the parents' induction meeting takes place. My nursery class have lunch in the school hall and join the school for special assemblies to get them used to being in the main school building. We also have short sessions where the teachers swap class; maybe for half an hour or so for storytime sessions. We have a 3 week induction into reception in September where the children do two weeks of half days (split into two groups, where one week they also stay for lunch) and then in the third week the whole class are in together for the first time.
    The reception childrens' transition into year 1 takes place on the whole school move-up day; we also have storytime sessions etc where they get to meet the year 1 teacher and spend some time in what will be their new classroom.
    Hope this helps!!

4. Thanks natd84, we would like to do some teacher swooping for story and singing times we would like more regularity to it than in previous years. I have the opportunity of working with our on site children's centre for the transition into nursery and am trying to figure out how best to go about this!?

Do you do home visits for reception?

Thanks for sharing!

L

5. In the past members of staff have visited the children in their nursery setting, not sure about home visits - possibly for those children that didn't attend a nursery setting. We are quite fortunate in that the vast majority of the nursery children all move up into our reception class.
    Forgot to say, with our nursery visits the parents have the option to stay with the children. Most of them stayed for the first session, however decided to leave the children for the second session, once they were settled of course!!