1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transitioning to primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bonnie23, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I'm highly considering transitioning from secondary to primary. I know that primary can be extremely stressful and it has big differences from secondary, especially needing to know so many different subjects.

I currently teach design and technology and wondered if any primary schools would look at my application? My Maths and English skills are quite good and I'd be willing to train/take courses to update my skills.

Ideally I want to teach in Scotland but I'm not sure I would be allowed as I know I have to have a degree in the subject I'm teaching.

Thank you
    B x

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Design and technology would come under 'technologies' in the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence so it would be one of the subjects you'd be teaching in primary. You'll need to register with the GTCS:
    https://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration/qualified-outside-scotland.aspx
    http://www.gtcs.org.uk/web/FILES/registration/gtcs-becoming-a-teacher.pdf

There have been a couple of threads on here recently from people wanting to change from secondary to primary and from those wanting to move from England to Scotland. It would worth taking a look at them.

Vacancies for teaching jobs in state schools will be listed on: https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk

3. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Thank you, I'm already registered and have my PVG ready to go. I think I'm wondering if a primary school would be willing to take me on or not.

4. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Depends on how many applications they get, I suppose! I found it quite hard to find a job (I’m primary, too) as I didn’t have any experience of teaching Curriculum for Excellence. I went down the Support for Learning Teacher route and I’ve stayed with it as I like not having the whole class commitment. But then I’m coming to the end of my career so my priorities might be different to yours! Good luck.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A while ago I couldn't teach primary in Scotland because my qualification was secondary and I didn't have five years primary teaching experience, so couldn't be registered as a primary teacher with GTCS. As I didn't have recent experience of secondary teaching (had been in middle schools for over ten years) they wouldn't let me do that either, except as a probationary teacher! I even went to see them in Edinburgh and sat in front of a scary panel to try and convince them otherwise, but they refused to budge.

I think you need to look in to what it means to teach in primary rather more before you take the plunge and apply.