1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transitioning to another subject

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I love love love love LOVE teaching, it might stress us all out at some point but I believe there's a reason I haven't walked out of the door yet and it's because I can't imagine doing anything else with my life.

The problem being is the Ebacc is marginalising my subject. I teach Design and Technology and as much as I love it schools are now starting to remove this subject from their curriculum because it's not in the Ebacc and it's an expensive subject and it's also becoming more difficult to teach because of the tighter budgets.

My 2nd strongest subject is ICT. I used to teach programming (about a year ago), KS3 things I find a breeze but obviously the concern grows at KS4 and KS5. I also really love working with computers and I'm quite fascinated by them, I've taught a few ICT classes before and loved it (but only to KS3).

Has anyone previously transitioned to a different subject? Has anyone ever transitioned in to ICT? Any advice? Any steps I should follow? I want to do this swiftly as I plan on moving to another area of the country (hopefully for September).

Thanks in advance you wonderful bunch! :D

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well there could be good news for you then with Mrs may's plans to establish more Technical Schools then.

SLouise91 likes this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I assume that you mean Computing rather than ICT. If you can program and know the curriculum then you might be an asset. I have taught 5 different subjects to A level including ICT and Computing (now Computer Science) my degree is in Science.

SLouise91 likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just get busy with some upskilling to give you more confidence. Of course you can do it. You are at least half way there.

SLouise91, thistledoo and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

To help with that join CAS - http://community.computingatschool.org.uk/

SLouise91 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's them flying pigs back again! I reckon they'll be as popular as the University technical colleges which are now closing because they can't get enough students.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, yes. That was such a popular initiative I've never heard of it!

SLouise91 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Research the specifications at KS4 and/ or 5, make a list of areas you do not feel confident in. Look out for courses that you can study these areas. Unfortunately, school budgets are squeezing CPD budgets so doubt you could do this through school unless you are actually teaching it now.
    No matter, you sound enthusiastic enough to go at night or perhaps a weekend session? Computer skills and food go well together because of all the survey analysis and food RDA data - you might try and wangle a course under this guise?

Just a thought... perhaps you could offer to teach some of the ICT/ computer skills required at KS3 through food? It would demonstrate that food as a subject is more useful than 'cooking'. (Don't please gnash your teeth at me :eek:, I spent years promoting food as a subject. What you really need is sympathetic SLT - I see more of those pigs flying @Shedman ! :rolleyes: )

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Can you ask the head of computing in your current school for help/advice/experience? If you sat in on some ks4/5 lessons if your timetable allows, you would be able to develop your understanding. I know lots of colleagues who have morphed into teaching different subjects, usually not involving any formal course or training.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Given the shortage of 'Computing' teachers, it sounds to me as if you are already better qualified than the many teachers forced to teach this subject about which they know nothing and care less.

SLouise91 and wanet like this.