1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition to Yr1

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teejay100000, May 12, 2011.

1. " a lot of transition"? What does that mean?

2. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

We do two one hour visits and one two hour visits. These happening for the last 3 weeks of June. When we had a new teacher joining to teach reception she was asked to come in for these visits (probably only possible as she was an NQT).

3. Hi
    You cannot do better than read this book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Key-Stage-Transition-Foundation/dp/0335238467
    also in school somewhere will be a pink file called Continuing the Learning Journey and in the file there is a DVD which is excellent and very useful.
    another interesting project here
    http://www.st-francis.lancs.sch.uk/curriculum/assessment/getfile.php?src=568/05+Effective+Transition.pdf
    Transition should be an ongoing process and not a one off activity.
    We have regular visits from the Y1 teacher to reception during the course of the year so children and teachers get to see one another. We also do some session swaps and reception teachers work in Y1 and Y1 in reception. Then in July we allocate the new class and the whole school more on to the new class for a week .

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think there is a great deal that can be gained until the new teacher has been appointed.
    Are there plans in place re organisation of Y1 in Sept ? Will it be a reception model or more formal?

5. Our Y1 teachers visit us in summer term. The children go for story visits with Y1 teachers in their classrooms. The Y1 teachers create a photo book that the children can look through showing pics of classroom, toilets etc. The children visit for full day in July.

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    teejay - what I meant was that the children will need lots of opportunities for visiting their new class and experiencing a different type of setting to the one they've been used to for the last two years. The way transition has been managed previously was awful and will certainly not be beneficial to this particular cohort (or, indeed, any)
    Msz - I'm hoping that the set up in year 1 will be a continuation of early years and the HT is very much on board with this
    I will check for the file and dvd and will check out the book which was mentioned.

Thanks again