1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition to primary teaching?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Nov 1, 2016.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Teaching is often 'horses for courses' , some people will thrive doing Primary, others would be completely turned off by the 'wiping snotty noses etc' aspect of it. It depends on your personality.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@caterpillartobutterfly

I wasn't being serious. About the prep school.

Would `I ever? I don't know. I've never thought about it. I've always been on the 'other side of the tracks'.

Crikey, I wouldn't even touch MATs with a bargepole so I suppose that says it all.

3. amarantine

amarantine New commenter

As some other people have said, maybe try a middle school. There aren't many left, but I work in one (having come from secondary). I started in my first year there teaching Year 7, and have moved down this year to Year 5 - I absolutely LOVE it. A lot of our staff are secondary trained, and, whilst we have to teach core subjects (I've taught English, Maths and Science among other things in my time at middle school) I haven't found it overly difficult to adjust! Honestly, give it a go! Best of both worlds, always thought I'd never want to do primary because I couldn't manage the really little ones, but in a middle school I get Year 5 up to Year 8 which I think is lovely :)

SLouise91 likes this.