1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition Project year 6 to 7

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kimberj, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am currently involved in a working group across primary and secondary that will be developing a transition project in Maths to be used after the SAT's in primary and in the first few weeks of secondary.
    I've started to come up with a few ideas but haven't actually done one before and was wondering if anyone has any amazing ideas or words of wisdom (do's and don'ts?) based on any experiences they have had of one.
    Any comments gratefully received...
    :)

2. KYP

KYP New commenter

Hi,
    It's a long time since I used them, but have you looked at the DFES “Transition from Year 6 to Year 7 mathematics” resources? (Search engine gives a lot of links)
    The problem we had was getting all the feeder primaries to do the work, as I was teaching at a girls' secondary school that took a few girls from each of a vast number of mixed primaries. If you can get secondary teachers to go in to teach one of the lessons in the primaries, that's interesting ...!

3. What have you highlighted to be the issues?
    I agree with the post above and found many feeder schools were less interested as they were moving the kids on and had primed them to pass and get their level 5
    The main issue I have is with:
    (1) Numeracy - Many students know lots of maths but have no ability with number which hinders them
    (2) The ability to sit and learn without wanting to play in the sandpit.
    I firmly believe maths should only be studied after pupils pass a national, external qualification in numeracy alone.
    Is not fashionable but I strongly believe in rote learning and IMO the parent/pupil/teacher triangulated network is vital and getting parents to have timestables grids on the freezer and to make numercy part of the homelife of kids.
    My maths log ins can help adults and their kids learn...IMO its all about a solid base of numeracy and developing the ability to 'cope' with more structure to lessons