1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Transition Meeting

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by davidjones123, Jun 3, 2011.

1. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,
    I have a parent transition meeting and I will
    be talking about how reception is different to Year 1. I would like to
    know what you think are the main points I should be discussing in this
    area as opinions differ and, as I am still a newby to teaching, I want
    to make this a successful presentation. Any help you can give me will be
    greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    David.

2. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,
    I have a parent transition meeting and I will
    be talking about how reception is different to Year 1. I would like to
    know what you think are the main points I should be discussing in this
    area as opinions differ and, as I am still a newby to teaching, I want
    to make this a successful presentation. Any help you can give me will be
    greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    David.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think it is pretty difficult for anyone to comment as we have no idea what the setup in your school is.

4. I am in FS but would hope the Y1 teacher would try to include things like:
    Starting off similar to FS - with lots of open ended play opportunities that build upon the EYFS opps they have had - remember that by using the EYFSP data you can see which children need to still be accessing EYFS as they will all be at different stages.
    Gradually throughout the year becoming more formal (Have never taught Y1 but I would imagine by January) but still including play based elements as they are still only 5/6.
    Last year we had a fabulous Y1 teacher who set up the classroom brilliantly to allow all children to achieve by accessing resources that were appropriate for their level - it was the least formal Y1 class I have seen (malleable area, cosy reading corner, 2 role play areas linked to her topic etc - I know this is probably good practice in most schools but ours seems to be a bit behind the times so it was nice to see rather than just tables for each child set out and hardly any play based opportunities.
    If possible I would set up the classroom and let the parents come in and look around so they know what to expect - I am sure a lot of parents do think they will all be sitting at tables for the majority of the day just because they have moved into Y1.
    You might want to touch upon things like your way of doing individual/guided reading or how many times books will be changed etc. as it may be different to the previous teacher - set out your way of doing things from the start.
    Also the expectations of work in books (in my FS we dont actually use books for recording they just have a folder) so this will be different for the children.
    I am sure there are lots more ideas but as I said I am not in y1 so just some suggestions. Good luck x

5. Please could you complete a questionnaire for my dissertation? Its massively appreciated.. just follow the link .... www.surveymonkey.com/.../3F535T9