1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Transition Meeting - advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by davidjones123, Jun 3, 2011.

1. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,

I have a parent transition meeting and I will be talking about how reception is different to Year 1. I would like to know what you think are the main points I should be discussing in this area as opinions differ and, as I am still a newby to teaching, I want to make this a successful presentation. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    David.

2. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,

I have a parent transition meeting and I will be talking about how reception is different to Year 1. I would like to know what you think are the main points I should be discussing in this area as opinions differ and, as I am still a newby to teaching, I want to make this a successful presentation. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    David.

3. That all depends how your teaching approach in Year 1 is different to that in reception! At my school for at least the first term, year 1 is taught in very much the same manner as in reception with lots of child initiated learning and small group work - for our children it is not greatly different. I would treat this meeting as a chance for parents to become secure that their children will still be happy at school and that you are friendly and fun and want the best for their children... :)

4. As the above poster said, it really does depend on your school.
    You could simplify the national curriculum for parents so they can see that instead of the 'areas of learning' that foundation focusses on, the national curriculum focuses on individual subjects - then proceed to highlight the things they will be learning and be expected to do in terms of Y1 Lit and Num - writing sentences with interesting vocabulary, counting to beyond 20, etc. Anything that will give parents an idea of what the age related expectation is will help them to help their child at home.
    Explain any transition plans (eg class swap day, joint playtimes, transitional visits)
    Introduce staff they'll be working with.