1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition ideas when moving up with your class.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louise_h27, Jun 12, 2016.

1. louise_h27

louise_h27 New commenter

Hi I am a Year 1 teacher moving up to Year one with my class. I'm wondering what others have used transition day for in thus situation when there is no need for getting to know you stuff.

I know I can do some introduction to Year 2 routines etc but otherwise I'm coming up a bit blank.

Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Perfect opportunity to introduce them to 'some of the challenges in Year 2'. What do they think they'll be? How well do they think they'll adjust especially with the same teacher who will have higher expectations? etc.

Have a look at something they will find different in the new curriculum e g learning xxx and show them what fun it will be. Not exactly sure of the new Yr 2 expectations but for example using a ruler, trundle wheel, some new piece of equipment they haven't met before.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

get them to make a challenge for them self /best friend for the move into year 2.
    I find the whole day too long with an entirely new class. I think I would be thinking of something to do outside for a while. maybe set up some sort of treasure hunt or maths trail with the things they will do new in Y2 spread around the place to take up some time!
    Circle time to ask them what they would like to do differently? P4C maybe?

ultimatedingbat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

I usually do portraits with them, it's a nice way to get them thinking about hpow they've changed this year

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I've done this before but with older children moving from year 5 into 6. We did things that could go up display ready for September so when they moved into their new classroom it would already have some of their work up.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. KS2History

KS2History New commenter