1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition from worksheet to context

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cardoon, Oct 28, 2011.

1. @Padawan
    Despite using all the latest modern scientific pedagogical techniques ('active teaching', 'worksheets which encourage learning', 'contextual learning via written project'), I see you come up with the eternal enigma of education: what you call "how to embed the learning" and what I call "how to knock stuff into empty heads."
    You seem surprised that this is difficult and ask "does anyone else have any experience of this?"
    Is this a serious question?

2. I apologise if my question offends you. You seem to be pretty experienced so what strategies do you use, cardoon?

3. Padawan - you have bumped into the brickwall I call "They can understand it for as long as your lips move"
    Once students are asked to use data they have happily written down, from our lips, peers, SMARTboard etc they look at you blankly! Many sincerely will have no memory of the worksheet - or the lesson!
    You have to bore yourself silly with repetition and sneaky ways to make them read over their notes, basically you will have to build in study skills and consolidation techniques.
    And no, they will NOT have learned these at school for their GCSE. They may have memorised a lot of information but after the releveant exam they will have forgotten much of it to make space for cramming the next exam.
    Any information they accidentally retain tends to fall out iof their ears when they are asleep - and once their mum's wash the pillow cases the information is gone for good!
    No, I am not being harsh, disillusioned or mean. If you ask them they will all agree - they have no idea how to retain information or to actually learn it as these are not skills they have been taught.
    So I would suggest you go back to basics - not for what you do but for what you expect them to do. Ask small questions regularly and work up to the biggies.
    Check with your SEN dept for help. They are usually delighted to be truly useful! Ours are extremely helpful!

4. Scuse all the mispers.... I am being called through for a music afternoon!

5. Thank you, Pobble.

I was wondering this as I was marking their assessments. I wrote down on more than one occassion for them to question what they were writing before putting pen down to paper. The common error 'they're, there, their' is something that we have covered, yet it still came up in their writing. If only they questioned it before writing it, they'd have possibly got it right (or write, or rite...!!)
    I fear I will need to repeat the objectives, but then how many times do you actually repeat something before needing to move on due to time constraints?
    I think I'm going to do something very different with them next week and try to build in these objectives again, alongside the new objectives, over the next half term. Perhaps I could build in 10/15 minute grammar test and discussion at the start of evey lesson? Actually, this could even be a 'walk in ' activity to get them busy when they walk in the door. You've got me thinking now, Pobble! [​IMG]

6. I have 'bell work' at the beginning of every lesson. It can be thinking back over the previous lesson's LOs or random Qs from any previous lesson. They get confused at first but once used to it they settle down to some hard remembering.
    It takes 5 minutes in every lesson and, whilst I used to begrudge the time, I now realise that I never really got anythiung new done in that time anyway!
    Have fun with it. You will find all sorts of daft things you can d to keep them amused whilst thinking very hard.
    Try some of these
    wikispace
    whiteboard stuff
    teachit

7. Thanks, cardoon. I agree - I actually dislike teaching from worksheets but it appears this is what the learners want and how they have been taught previously. I am trying to move away from them by using interactive teaching which gets them all involved and discussing, but they seem to want the worksheets. Hopefully by Christmas I will have phased them out!!