1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition from Secondary to Primary

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by s2341, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Dear all,

I have taught in secondary school but have not passed my NQT (long history and probably can't go into detail on here) and was having a serious consideration in transferring to primary.

I am primarily a music teacher at secondary level and my pgce covers from 11 years to 18 years of age. I haev primary volunteer experience for 1 year, brownies leading experience for 8 years and drop in volunteer for other primary sectors.

Anybody got any ideas how I can get into this? Secondary is definately not the place for me but I do enjoy teaching the younger ones. At the time I did not get the degree level required to enter a primary PGCE and all of the courses were full when the university said no (they told me late) and I got a spot on a secondary course. I go have my QTS and compelted all of the tests as well.

I would love to do what it takes to get there. Would I need to start again or is there a transition course or could I even just apply with my relevant experience?

Any help is much appreciated,

s2341

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

QTS does allow you to teach at either phase and currently there are no formal retraining routes . It is largely a matter of finding a job-this would have to be an induction post and no allowances are made for teaching in a different phase. Music is obviously of interest to primary schools however you need to show that you have the capacity to teach a wider curriculunm as a class teacher. I have often found secondary traned teachers in upper primary particularly Yr 6.

3. Interesting, I have just posted a similar Q in the students section - I am studying secondary music PGCE and wondering if I can do my NQT year in a primary school :)

4. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

When you say you have not passed your NQT, I'm assuming you mean you either haven't started it or completed it rather than that you did the full 3 terms and failed? I'm just mentioning this because the only way someone can continue to teach in the state sector if they have failed induction is to get an extension (although there normally has to be mitigating circumstances to be allowed to do this). If you want to go down the supply route to get experience of working in primary, you only have a limited amount of time in which to do this without completing induction (at the moment you are allowed to do short-term supply for up to 16 months from the first day of supply, although I think it's changing later this year to an allowance of 5 years from the day you gain QTS).