1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition from ks2 to reception teacher.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Charr153, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Charr153

Charr153 New commenter

Good morning,

I have been told I am moving from KS2 (year 4) to reception next year, a change which I am excited about.

Obviously it is a dramatic move and I am looking for as much advice as possible to help prepare over the next year.

I understand the basics of assessment and played centered learning etc...

Can anyone advise any must reads (books, blogs websites etc), any free CPD courses they found useful or just general comments if you have made the change yourself?

Anything would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

2. StarbuckEducation

StarbuckEducation New commenter

I have made a selection on videos you can view for free, phonics, observation tips, esafety, teaching mathematics etc. www.starbuck.education

Charr153 likes this.
  3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Development Matters 2012 particularly the bit about characteristics of effective learning.

Abcdoes.com lots of lovely ideas and good section on objective led planning

First of all visit your schools reception class and see what they do. Go to other schools and see what goes on. Above all you need to change your mindset as lots comes from the children rather than you.

Also brush up on phonics. Do your school use a scheme? It's vital to learning to read and write.

Pinterest has lots of ideas too, but you could literally drown in Pinterest so be careful!!

Good luck, the pressures are different but you will love it, I'm sure.

Charr153 likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I can highly recommend Anna Ephgrave's "The Reception Year In Action". Each chapter is about one of the months of the year, describing things that might happen in the classroom. In September, for example, the author writes about setting up the classroom, home visits, settling the children in, etc. I think you will find it interesting and useful to read about examples of learning being developed from children's interests, and to see how the learning progresses over the course of the year.

Charr153 likes this.
  5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Absolutely. Teaching in Reception looks very different to teaching in KS2. In KS2 you plan the lessons and the children respond to you. In Reception, you provide activities and resources, but the children decide what they will do with them, and you respond to their choices - engaging with their play, supporting their activities, extending their thinking.

Charr153 likes this.
  6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I would have said anna Ephgrave too.

Charr153 and Camokidmommy like this.
  7. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

So would I but couldn't spell her name and iPad is being uncooperative!!

Charr153 likes this.
  8. Charr153

Charr153 New commenter

Thank you all for such wonderful advice! I will use it all... :)