1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition from A-Level to IB

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mcouch90, Aug 25, 2015.

1. I am starting in a new school this September, where I will be teaching IB for the first time. I'm a little bit nervous because I've only been teaching for a couple of years and I've been warned that it's a completely different world to A-Level.

I have no issue with the TOK, extended essay or CAS parts of the course, they all seem pretty straightforward. My trepidations lie in the fact that I've been told that the method of teaching IB is completely different to A-Levels, yet I can't seem to figure out how.

If any of you have been through the A-Level to IB transition and can offer any advice, I'd be immensely grateful. In what ways do I need to adapt my teaching methods to fit the course?

NB. I'm moving from Edexcel A-level to Higher Level IB Chemistry.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Have they arranged training for you? Some online courses are available.....

3. No, not yet. Someone mentioned something about waiting until I'd been there for a term, or maybe it was a year.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I didn't have any trouble with this transition when my school started doing IB in addition to A level (although it was in Maths rather than Chemistry). The courses seemed to be mostly about the subject content, which I knew already. Instead, I arranged to spend a day at an IB school, observing lessons and chatting to teachers. They were very helpful. I ended up not making any major changes in my teaching style. I suggest you talk to people at your new school who have changed from A level to IB, to see what they can suggest.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I've just moved from AS/A2 Latin to IB Latin and my teaching hasn't changed too much, e.g. my approach will be similar but my advice is to look at past papers! The teacher I replaced very kindly gave me some copies (they are not easily downloadable privately but your school should have them), they might give you an insight on the approach to take. In my case, it is slightly 'easier' than the AS/A2 as students can use a dictionary for one part but nevertheless the other parts are somewhat different.

Good luck!

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Good advice! A key thing to do for any new exam course. I'd go further and suggest doing some of them.

7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

The difference between A level and IBDP can be over egged. It's more an issue for the students and the whole school, than the individual teacher.

Try and get them to send you on a workshop.