1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition days

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Injins, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I'm off to my new school on Thursday to meet my new Reception class.
    What should I prepare for a transition day? I'm only doing maturnity cover, so I guess the original teacher may already have some ideas about how she wants the class run but I was thinking of going over class / school rules / acceptable behaviour, doing some circle time games to get to know them and maybe just some play in order for me to observe the children and make some notes.

I rang the school and was just told "you've got 'em all day". They have come up from the nursery in the school and its a unit set up so really they're just moving form one end of a large room to another. I'll be more of a newbie than them [​IMG]

Any advice gratefully recieved.

2. Hi there,
    I'm off to my new school on Thursday to meet my new Reception class.
    What should I prepare for a transition day? I'm only doing maturnity cover, so I guess the original teacher may already have some ideas about how she wants the class run but I was thinking of going over class / school rules / acceptable behaviour, doing some circle time games to get to know them and maybe just some play in order for me to observe the children and make some notes.

I rang the school and was just told "you've got 'em all day". They have come up from the nursery in the school and its a unit set up so really they're just moving form one end of a large room to another. I'll be more of a newbie than them [​IMG]

Any advice gratefully recieved.

3. oni44

oni44 New commenter

Hi I am a Nqt and I had my new reception class last week for 3 days . I other reception teacher planned activities around the were going on a bear hunt book. Other than that I was able to introduce myself to the children, familiarize them with the routine, reinforce the class and school rules and just generally interact with them during free flow. Hopefully you will have support from a TA.

Hope this helps. Stay in touch :)