1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition DAY reception to year 1

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pink_tink, Jun 27, 2008.

1. I have a year 1 job in september in a brand new school, I have seen the classroom only very briefly and from what I can remember, it did not have LOTS of continuous provision.

I have the class for a WHOLE day next week and am unsure about how I can cater for the children's needs who, as reception children, will not be used to the year 1 environment that is set up at the moment, I want to change this in september to make it more foundation stage like, however, as it is not my classroom or even my school, I can`t change how it is at the moment.

I want to try and get all children to have done a passport to year 1 in small groups with me by the end of the day so I can see what they are like and have a display done and will of course include some name games/getting to know you games. We will name our class teddy and discus things we might be doing in September.

Has anyone got any other ideas in relation to work to complete with them, a good end of day story to read that includes friendship or a journey, even better both! AND has anyone got any ideas of things/activities I can take in easily to provide them with some free choice of activities e.g. paint, jigsaws etc?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! I need as much as I can get!

2. I have a year 1 job in september in a brand new school, I have seen the classroom only very briefly and from what I can remember, it did not have LOTS of continuous provision.

I have the class for a WHOLE day next week and am unsure about how I can cater for the children's needs who, as reception children, will not be used to the year 1 environment that is set up at the moment, I want to change this in september to make it more foundation stage like, however, as it is not my classroom or even my school, I can`t change how it is at the moment.

I want to try and get all children to have done a passport to year 1 in small groups with me by the end of the day so I can see what they are like and have a display done and will of course include some name games/getting to know you games. We will name our class teddy and discus things we might be doing in September.

Has anyone got any other ideas in relation to work to complete with them, a good end of day story to read that includes friendship or a journey, even better both! AND has anyone got any ideas of things/activities I can take in easily to provide them with some free choice of activities e.g. paint, jigsaws etc?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! I need as much as I can get!

3. lucye

lucye New commenter

What about the usual FS type activities, playdough on a table, linking elephants, smallworld-can you borrow anything from another class on the day? I am doing a transition afternoon next week & the childen are going to look at their skin eye tones etc... in mirrors & paint pictures of themselves that I will put up for September.
    Also there are some very nice free downloads on the pedagog website that I put out & my class loved.

4. Talk to the children about changes, what is different about this new classroom and what would they do to improve it, how are they feeling about the move - and you too for that matter (PSHCE/SEAL). What would they like to see in the classroom that is missing? Then, as part of changing it, you have children's ideas and opinions to back you. What interests them and which topics would they like to know more about? - this will give you an idea for topics next year and somewhere to begin planning for the first term - excellence and enjoyment. Include some sort of activities that help you assess where they are at the moment to help you set groups and expectations and know where to start fom.

Wondering the same as you even though staying in Year One having brought my reception class up last year and decided together what we needed. Teach it as Year One as it stands in the school you are going to but take note of the children's comments, feelings and needs talked about after their experience and your observations of them during your time with them.

Hope this helps and makes sense - if not let me know.

5. Thanks so much for your help, I`ve taken both of your ideas on board! x

6. I agree with the other comments above too. One of the activities i did with my new class last year was to make flowers with them where they wrote and drew pictures in the petals and then i put a photograph in the middle. There were 5 petals with:
    My name is......(shows who can write their name)
    I am......years old (can see who can write numbers)
    I like (chn draw things they like to do)
    I do'nt like (again chn draw)
    Then the other petal said All about me!This could be changed. Hope that all makes sense. when backed onto different coloured paper this made a lovely display for september and the children loved seeing soemthing they had done.

7. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

lauralu18- that sounds liek a lovely idea! Do you have any photos or a template that you could send to me please.
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

Pink_tink- do you have a copy of your passport that you are going to use with your new class. Could I be cheeky and ask for a copy please?
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

8. I only have my new class for one hour, have so much that I would like to do but very little time.

9. Hi helskie26 im really sorry but i have just searched all of my class photos and cannot seem to find one of that display!! typical! i do not have a template either sorry, but it is really easy to make.

10. It won`t upload to my email for some reason (maybe because I have done it in publisher)

Basically its 4 pages:

Front says name of school, a black framed box for a photograph, and words saying passprot to year 1 at
    bottom.

Next page is blank (as otherwise you can see through it when it prints)

3rd page says 'Passport details'
    My name is, my teacher in year on is, my eye colour is, my hair colour is, my best friend in school is,

Finally the back page has 3/4 of the page blank with title people who live in my house.

All to assess writing, drawing, reading and to know who their friends are and who they live with.

11. I like the idea about the flowers and the children write or draw on the petals, as this would also be an opportunity to see what they can do and how independent they are.
    I also just wanted to do some circle time activities and games and spend time getting to know each other and sort stuff for September, eg what door they come in from and etc.

Not really sure other than that, I would also appreciate any ideas people have. I will have a mix of Year 1 and 2 but mostly Year 1.

Thanks

12. I know this is an old post but great idea laraulu. Would love to use it for my transition day this year. Did you use a whole template or separate pieces for each petal and middle section. Did you do it on white paper then mount whole thing on colour. Or did the children write straight onto coloured pieces. Would love to know what looks best.
    thanks
    Bev