1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition day ideas (new school)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by BriarBabe22, Jul 2, 2020.

1. BriarBabe22

BriarBabe22 New commenter

I am starting in a new school in September and have been asked to go in for a transition day at the end of term. I am going to be working in the hall, not a classroom, I have no idea what resources are available, there is no interactive whiteboard (only a projector and screen) and I have no adult support! It's a small year 2 class but I'm struggling to think of ways to 'teach/entertain' them all day without the 'normal' classroom resources available. Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received, thanks!

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

if your session is all about what's new, why not write a question/topic on paper, put in a box and use this as an 'interactive ' way of engaging the students. You could put objects in the boxes and ask them to link the object with the topic/question around the new term.

Inside on box could be a dvd (assuming you can watch a film) or a book for you to read from. Again you could put in games etc.

If you give me a bit more detail, i can help more...

BriarBabe22 likes this.
  3. BriarBabe22

BriarBabe22 New commenter

Thank you for this idea - I can certainly work with that! In terms of more detail, I wish I had some to give you! What I know is what I have written already lol! Another 'problem' I have is that I haven't taught for a couple of years so don't have loads of resources of my own anymore so without knowing what's available, I'm a bit in the dark ...

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Speak to the school about resources that can be taken to the hall...
    You should be able to access most things.

6. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

My go to for transition days is talking about birthdays- just make sure you have a list of them from the office! Team games - can they line up in order of birthday month, then by the day of the month? Can they do it without talking? Then each make a generic birthday card (plus some spares for the early finishers!) that can go in a class box for next year, so you have a card ready for every child.

EBC likes this.
  7. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

Make a simple proforma of an 'all about me' so each child can draw a picture of self and write a bit about likes/dislikes. Have some resources ready eg word bank /pictures for those that need help. This will give you a snapshot of the child and a quick initial assessment.

Do one of yourself to show and perhaps choose a story as a starter.

8. numbersense

numbersense New commenter

I always do an 'all about me' task and I like to include a section for them to write things they want me to know about them. I tell them this is not going to be shared with anyone else in the class and they often tell me things I wouldn't otherwise know (usually worries).