1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transition between KS1 and KS2 - Ideas please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marple, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ^ up ^
    Just slipping onto page two!!

2. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

I have some stuff that you might find useful. I think transition activities HUGELY!!!!!! important.
    Am quite busy tonight but if you email me tomorrow or Saturday I'll send you some activities that might be useful.
    mhf_35 at hotmail dot com

3. We have a transition day when all the children move up to their new class.
    I have just suggested and the staff have agreed that in the last half term of the summer term for 7 weeks the teachers will move down a class for one afternoon a week where they will get to know their new children and the teacher can teach them in an area that interests them (obviously with discussion with class teacher) eg I will be doing art/dt...the PE co ordinator will be doing PE etc......only snag foundation teacher will be teaching yr6..thats me!!! I'm quite looking forward to it.
    Perhaps a lunchtime club, story reading by the yr3 teacher?

4. EBD35

marple you should have 5 emails coming your way :0)

5. Thank you very much for taking the time to email. I am really grateful. Just opened the emails. I am sure that I will be able to use most of it!

Now its convincing the Year 3 teacher to get on board. Wish me luck!!

Marple ;0)

6. EBD35

No probs and good luck with getting them on board!! would love to see anything you come up with as well :)

7. Sorry to butt in on this thread, but is there any chance of a copy of the transition activities please? Many thanks

clightyear@yahoo.co.uk

8. madmusician

madmusician New commenter

Transition is a huge thing in our school.

We start with year 2 and year 3 having some combined PE lessons so children can mix and see teachers in action - nothing too taxing, just some parachute games and easy ball games.
    We have transition afternoons when year 2's come to year 3 and spend some time with us (we have mixed age classes so some year 2's end up in a mixed 3&4 class). We have a project that is started in summer and completed in 1st week of autumn about our class name (animals from different continents - loads of activities can be done!). Year 3 teachers go to year 2 classes and TA for year 3 next year will go to year 2 for a couple of hours. Last year we also had a board games session sort of golden time - all year 2 and 3 in the hall in mixed groups playing together - after all they will work together next year!
    Thats about it but about the last 4 weeks we have at least 4 sessions when we spend time with our new classes.

Hope this helps (although its a bit delayed!)

MM