1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transforming functions:Translation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by raghad, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi all, I have to plan a good lesson on this topic for year10 top set. I have never taught this topic befor, so I have no idea on how to start it with these students.What shall I do for starter?I need help,please.

2. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Ah - this makes more sense now (compared to your other thread ...)
    So many different ways of doing this - lots of opportunities to show you can do different things and teach in different ways [I assume this is an interview lesson.] You need to teach in the way you are most comfortable, though.
    Could start off with y = x^2 and transform this. y = x^2 + c should be fairly straighforward (translate it up by c). y = (x-d)^2 is more challenging.
    You could get them to do a few using mini-whiteboards (assuming the boards have squares on them). They could draw a table of values, plot some points and see how the graphs change.
    Or you could use graphical calculators. Or computers (GeoGebra?). Or they could write in their books.
    You could start off with y=mx+c and recap what effect the 'c' part has.
    So many decisions to make ... and only one person can make them!
    I don't know how helpful this has been ...

3. There are only 2 translations:
    f(x-a) which is a horizontal translation of (a,0)
    f(x)+a which is a verticle translation of (0,a)
    When you say 'good' is this in terms of ofsted standards 'good' or good for you to empower kids?
    Who are the kids? what is their understanding of a basic function? what level are they at appx?
    Can they do basic translation of shapes? which may be a starter...ie move these shapes by the vector (3,0) (in vector form) or similar.
    I agree the idea of an IT package and the level which this is pitched at will depend on the kids and your confidence. I personally teach it as a 'noddy topic' of just moving the f(x) around, usually starting with x^2 as above....some classess I look at the influence of the function....
    why not draw something up and ask for help?

4. Ok. I think it's a good idea to start with the function y= mx+c and see if they realize the effect of c. then I will move to different functions and investigate them more.I think I will use miniboards with computer. I believe the school just have autograph and that should be striaght farword(I'm more familar with GeoGebra).
    The question now is should go to other functions like cosx and sinx??. Bearing in mind the lesson is for 30 minutes only.

5. Why?
    Have a think about this.....Is this an ideal function to pick?
    As for trig, no